Supporting readership in a different way

I am writing in response to a letter submitted by Joe Brutto ("Supporting readership," Feb. 24) about supporting the College Readership Program. In it, he attacks the Club Coordination Council for not supporting the College Readership Program and for providing "funds to a plethora of student run organizations, the majority of which no one cares about." First of all, I want Joe to tell the 1,088 student leaders of these organizations that no one cares about their organizations. Also, I want him to say that to the over 7,000 students that are involved in these organizations. The College Readership Program only provides newspapers for one in four students on this campus. The Club Coordination Council provides funding that three fourths of the students on this campus will use.

In addition, biased reporting has led many members of campus to believe that the Club Coordination Council is against the College Readership Program. This is completely false. Dave Baron, Student Body President, and Beth O'Shaughnessy, Club Coordination Council President, have been working closely together in an effort to find a new way to fund the College Readership Program.

The Club Coordination Council supports the College Readership Program. It is a great way to keep the student body informed of issues outside of the Notre Dame world. The Council is opposed to the cut in the money that will go toward campus clubs and organizations.

Every year, students put their passion into creating new clubs and expanding existing ones. These clubs allow students to do many things they normally would not be able to do. They give students opportunities to compete in sports in college, perform plays and musicals, complete community service projects, increase awareness of world issues, learn about new cultures and increase their academic knowledge outside of the classroom.

In addition to improving life on campus, these clubs give students leadership and economic experience for the real world. Cutting the hard line percentage that the Club Coordination Council receives from student activities fees will affect the future of campus clubs and organizations. It will be harder for new clubs to be introduced to our campus and for existing ones to continue. The Club Coordination Council is looking for ways to fund the College Readership Program that will not take away from three of every four students. With the amount of money that comes through this University, there has to be an alternative.

In closing, I would like to encourage Joe to join just one of the campus clubs that may remotely interest him. Since his money is already going toward the club, maybe he will see the benefit that over 7,000 students at Notre Dame are already taking advantage of.

Mary Ann JentzClub Coordination CouncilService Division RepresentativeseniorFeb. 24