Wednesday, May 1, 2024

The Observer appoints next top three supporting editors

Maddie Hanna, Bobby Griffin and Rama Gottumukkala have been hired to oversee The Observer's editorial operations in 2006-07, incoming Editor in Chief Mike Gilloon announced Monday.

Gilloon also said business manager Paula Garcia will be retained at her current position for the rest of the semester.

Hanna will serve as Managing Editor, while Griffin and Gottumukkala will serve as Assistant Managing Editors. They step into those roles on March 20.

As Managing Editor, Hanna will be responsible for assisting Gilloon in supervising The Observer's editorial departments. She also plans to oversee technical upgrades and recruiting.

"I look forward to helping provide the leadership and the vision necessary to continue the tradition of excellence at The Observer," said Hanna, the paper's current Associate News Editor.

Griffin, who has worked as an Associate Sports Editor since March 2005, will oversee the day-to-day operations of the paper and work on writing improvements.

"I am honored to have the opportunity to help lead The Observer," Griffin said.

Gottumukkala, who has worked as Scene Editor since March 2005, will also oversee the daily operations of the paper and work on production improvements.

"I hope to learn from my responsibilities as Scene Editor, including the opportunity to lead a hardworking and talented Scene staff, to aid the rest of the paper's daily activities. It's a challenge I'm looking forward to tackling," Gottumukkala said.

Hanna, a sophomore French major and Journalism, Ethics and Democracy minor, began working at The Observer as a news reporter her freshman year and since has covered various stories including the firing of ex-Notre Dame football coach Tyrone Willingham, President Bush's speech on campus last spring and a series on discipline at Notre Dame that ran this past fall.

Hanna is originally from Milwaukee, Wis., and she lives in Lewis Hall.

Griffin joined The Observer as an Interhall football writer in the fall of 2003. Since then, he has covered women's soccer, men's basketball, track and men's lacrosse.

Griffin is a junior American Studies major. He is a native of Palisades, N.Y., and he lives in Keough Hall. Gottumukkala, a senior Film, Television and Theater major, joined The Observer in the fall of 2003.

He has covered various Scene stories including Vince Vaughn's comedy tour, an interview with John Walker (producer of Pixar's "The Incredibles") and the release of "The Passion of the Christ."

He also has covered men's swimming and men's tennis for the Sports department. Gottumukkala is from Houston, Texas and lives in O'Neill Hall.