Track: Runners cruise in Windsor

The Irish traveled to Canada this weekend to participate in the Windsor Invitational and left a strong impression with several noteworthy finishes.

Notre Dame athletes picked up four victories this weekend, including two by standout sprinter Maryann Erigha. The junior sprinter won both the 60-meter dash and the 300-meter dash. Erigha has been one of the most consistent performers for the Irish this entire season, especially in the 60-meter event.

This was her third victory in the 60 meters this indoor season. She also won the event at both the Meyo Invitational and the Notre Dame Opener.

The Irish women also performed well in the 60-meter hurdles.

Sophomore Domenique Manning won the event with a time of 8.89 seconds, the fastest time that an Irish sprinter has run all season. Freshman Alyissa Hasan took second place just behind Manning.

Senior Ryan Postel earned the fourth and final Irish victory of the weekend. Postel won the 300-meter run with a time of 35.10 seconds. Junior Jordan Powell also ran well in the 300 meters, placing fourth.

The Notre Dame pole vaulters also turned in strong efforts, led by juniors Dave Viken and Justin Oppel, who finished in second and third place, respectively. Viken came up just a centimeter short of his personal best, clearing a height of 4.70 meters.

Oppel, competing in his first meet this season after rehabbing a head injury, cleared a height of 4.50 meters, good enough to qualify for the Big East Championships.

"This meet was my first one since returning to action from a concussion, so it was all or nothing for me," Oppel said. "I knew that I needed to perform well in order to qualify for the Big East Championships."

Notre Dame now looks to the Big East Indoor Championships next week. The Irish men are the defending meet champions, while the women came in second last year to the University of Pittsburgh.

"My main goal for next week is just to score some points for the team as we try to defend our title," Oppel said. "I'm just trying to stay healthy and contribute to the team."

The Big East Indoor Championships will take place next Saturday and Sunday in Akron, Ohio.