The Observer is a student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame, Saint Mary's & Holy Cross. Learn about us.



Bengal Bouts: Captain Schaefer prevails

Joe Quinn | Monday, March 6, 2006

Jeffrey Hausfeld v. Greg Schaefer

Senior captain Greg Schaefer used patience and precise punches to gain a split decision over sophomore Jeffery Hausfeld in the 160-pound championship. Schaefer sat back and withstood Hausfeld’s sometimes-wild punches, and when the opportunity presented itself, landed a few solid punches.

Hausfeld came out strong in the first round, landing a number of solid punches on the more experienced Schaefer. Except for a few jabs at the end of the round, it appeared Hausfeld was on his way to the championship.

But in the second round, Schaefer’s experience showed as he landed a nice punch combination early in the round. After the fighters traded jabs, the momentum turned. Schaefer backed Hausfeld into the corner and landed a few right hooks combined with a couple of jabs. Schaefer’s combination cut the skin above Hausfeld’s eye, which bled and covered his face with blood by the end of the round.

While the intermission gave Hausfeld time to stop the bleeding, he could do nothing to stop the momentum. In the third round, Hausfeld came out swinging, knowing he had to win the round in order to win the championship. But again, Schaefer remained patient and picked his spots.

Neither boxer dominated the third round, but Schaefer connected just enough to secure the victory.

Charlie Gough v. Billy Hederman

Senior Charlie Gough stopped the fight three times with devastating blows to win a unanimous decision over Billy Hederman in the 165-pound championship bout.

In the first round, Gough landed a number of punches and cut Hederman’s face. In a sign of things to come, the referee was forced to pause the fight so the trainers could tend to his cut. Gough emerged from the timeout with good defense and a few interspersed jabs to take control of the fight.

In the second round, both boxers came out swinging but neither was able to land any solid shots. Gough looked tired and in need of a break, so he created one – by hooking Hederman in the face and reopening the facial cut. The referee stopped the fight again.

Gough used this quick break to regain his energy and momentum that seemed to be slipping away. Out of the timeout, both fighters still looked tired and neither landed many punches.

In the third round, Gough once again used a time out to his advantage. With the momentum seemingly on Hederman’s side, Gough connected once again with a jab to Hederman’s face, causing a stoppage of the fight. After the time out, Gough regained the momentum, landed a number of jabs and came away with the unanimous decision.

Brian “You Can’t Handle the Truth” Nicholson v. Andrew Breslin

In one of the more exciting fights of the championship round, Brian “You Can’t Handle the Truth” Nicholson won a surprising split decision over senior captain Andrew Breslin. Nicholson used his severe height advantage to win the bout.

In the first round, Breslin used his quickness to get underneath the much taller Nicholson. Breslin landed a few punches early in the round, while Nicholson used his height to get in a few late shots right before the bell. Neither boxer did a whole lot in the first round, but the crowd – very much biased towards Breslin – was on its feet.

In the second round, Breslin came out with two quick punches in an attempt to gain control of the fight. Again, however, Nicholson used his long reach to keep the smaller Breslin at a distance. Nicholson landed a number of jabs and then, backing Breslin into the corner, landed the first solid combo of the fight.

Breslin struck right back, however, landing his own combo just a few seconds later. Toward the end of the round, Breslin got underneath Nicholson and landed a number of hooks, including one to the face the got the crowd in an uproar.

With the momentum – and the crowd – in Breslin’s favor, Nicholson again used his reach to take control of the fight. Nicholson landed a very solid hook about midway through the third round, and then the fighters traded punches until the bell.

Dan Ward v. Jeff Golen

In the 180-pound championship bout, Dan Ward was unable to capitalize on his height advantage while Jeff Golen used his quickness to capture the championship in a split decision.

Fighting conservatively in the first round, neither boxer took control of the fight early, although Ward was able to land a few early punches. Throughout the first round, Ward attempted to use his height advantage to keep the smaller Golen at a distance. Golen was able to get in close on a couple of occasions, but for the most part, Ward was successful.

In the second round, both fighters seemed to abandon their conservative plan as both Golen and Ward came out swinging. Golen landed a few punches, but it was Ward who had the hit of the round when he connected to the face, sending Golen stumbling backwards. This sent the crowd into a frenzy, but Golen, using his quickness, was able to get back some momentum as the round ended.

The third round was much of the same as both fighters came out swinging. Golen was able to get underneath Ward a number of times, landing a string of solid punches early. The fighters traded punches for much of the third round and neither fighter really separated himself. In the closing seconds, however, Golen again landed a few punches to close out the bout and secure the split decision victory.

Johnny Griffin v. Patrick K. Ryan

In a disappointing turn of events, sophomore Patrick Ryan was unable to fight. He was not medically cleared to compete, according to the fight announcer. Griffin was declared the winner in a walkover.

Nathan Schroeder v. John “You can’t beat around this” Bush

In the Heavyweight bracket championship, John Bush wanted to use his extreme height advantage to keep Schroeder from getting underneath him. Unfortunately for Bush, senior co-president Schroeder was the one who dictated the action. Using surprising quickness and unmatched aggression, Schroeder was able to secure the Heavyweight championship in a unanimous decision.

In the first round, Schroeder used his quickness to get underneath the taller Bush, and once he was underneath, just kept punching. In what looked like wild, uncontrolled punches, Schroeder connected on a number of swings, including a few to Bush’s face. No matter how hard Bush tried, Schroeder seemed determined to take away his height advantage.

In the second round, Bush landed a few early punches on Schroeder, successfully keeping him at a distance. Unfortunately for Bush, this newfound success was short-lived, as Schroeder connected with a very strong right hook and then stayed in close the rest of the round. Bush again was unable to get separation, and Schroeder landed a number of wild right hooks and then a strong jab at the bell.

In the third round of this championship bout, it was more of the same. Schroeder once again was able to get underneath Bush, landing a number of solid combos to the stomach and face. Bush was finally able to get separation and landed a few punches, himself, but it was too little too late. Schroeder closed out the fight with a series of right hooks and won the championship in the unanimous decision.

Tony Cunningham v. Brian Koenan

In the final fight of the 2006 Bengal Bouts, junior Tony Cunningham was able to overpower fellow junior Brian Koenan on his way to a TKO for the Super Heavyweight championship.

In this Super Heavyweight championship bout, both fighters came out very wildly and seemingly out of control. Almost immediately, Cunningham was able to back Koenan into the corner and landed a number of shots to the head. It was the first of a number of combos to the head that Koenan would suffer.

In the second and final round, Koenan came out swinging again, but it was only Cunningham that seemed to be landing any punches. Similar to the first round, Koenan was backed into the corner and suffered a number of shots to the head. The referee separated the two boxers, only for it to happen again.

Almost immediately after they were separated, Cunningham again forced Koenan into the corner and landed a number of strong punches to the head. One minute and one second into the second round, the referee stopped the fight to administer a standing eight-count. Seeing that Koenan was in no shape to continue, the referee called the fight in favor of Cunningham.