Bengal Bouts: Schaefer dominates Albonetti in quarterfinals

Senior Greg Schaefer dominated his fight with graduate student Phil Albonetti, as he earned a unanimous decision victory in the 160-pound weight division Tuesday.Schaefer was the more aggressive of the two fighters, and he had Albonetti on the defensive for the entire evening. Schaefer was able to land repeated combos as Albonetti often retreated after the initial punch. Schaefer was often able to pin Albonetti into the corner, which allowed him to unleash some of his combos. In the third round, the ref had to stop the fight at one point to allow Albonetti to recover from one of Schaefer's combos.

Charlie Gough vs. Andrew MassariSenior Charlie Gough finished strongly in his fight with freshman Andrew Massari to earn a unanimous decision in the 165-pound weight division.In the final round, Gough took over a fight that was fairly even through the first two rounds as he consistently landed punches on Massari. Near the end of the round, Gough landed a combo that caused Massari to start bleeding and forced the ref to stop the fight.Gough continued this momentum immediately after the time-out as he landed multiple punches to the face of Massari right before the bell rang signaling the end of the match.

Christopher Jordan vs. Adam BurnsJunior Adam Burns used an aggressive style to narrowly defeat sophomore Christopher Jordan by a split decision in their 165-pound division fight.Burns opened the fight quickly as he threw a furious combination of punches, landing a couple to the body and face. Jordan countered by using his long reach, which allowed him to land consistent punches. The ref had to stop the fight twice.Burns, however, continued to land punches throughout the fight, including a final combo right before the final bell rang. The ref had to stop the fight once in the third round to check on Jordan.

Stephen Hansen vs. Brad AmiriJunior Stephen Hansen dominated MBA student Brad Amiri as Hansen won a unanimous decision in the 165-pound weight division.Hansen was on the attack all night, repeatedly forcing his opponent into a defensive position on the ropes. Amiri often succumbed helplessly to vicious combos from Hansen, and the judges easily awarded the victory to Hansen.

Mike Hazlebeck v. Billy HedermanLaw student Billy Hederman defeated sophomore Mike Hazlebeck by knockout in the second round in the last quarterfinal of the 165-pound weight class.Hazlebeck started off punching very frenetically, throwing many punches but only landing a few of them. Hederman took advantage of Hazlebeck's wild punching and went on the attack. While Hazlebeck danced around the ring, Hederman waited stoically in the middle, defending himself while landing his own onslaught.By the second round, Hazlebeck had taken a good deal of punishment, leading the referee to stop the fight.

Brian Nicholson v. Stephen "The Wrecker" KleinLaw student Brian Nicholson used his height and his aggressive nature to defeat junior Stephen "The Wrecker" Klein in a unanimous decision in the first 170-pound quarterfinal.In the first round, Klein was able to get in close and tried combinations and uppercuts, but was unable to overwhelm his opponent. Nicholson came out aggressively in the second round, using an onslaught of various combinations to take the upper hand in the bout.

Michael "The Liberator" O'Connely v. Gregory "Busta" BrownSenior Michael "The Liberator" O'Connely was able to avoid a strong attack from Gregory "Busta" Brown in the first round and came back to win the fight by knockout early in the third round.Brown attacked O'Connely with an almost constant onslaught in the first round, but his punches were so wild that it appeared that not even Brown knew where they were going to land. Luckily for Brown, many of these early attacks did connect, but not enough to give him the clear advantage in the fight.Early in the third round, O'Connely resumed his attacks on Brown, so much so that the referee had to stop the fight in the third in a knockout victory for O'Connely.

Jeffrey Schaal v. O'Neil "Prime Time" PeartJunior O'Neil "Prime Time" Peart was able to stay competitive at the start of his fight with senior Jeffrey Schaal, but quickly lost control of the round and the fight, losing by a knockout in the third.Schaal showed his agility and quickness throughout the fight, dancing around Peart, who stood in the center of the ring. The junior was able to move in and out quickly, delivering his attack and while not letting Peart counter. He used this advantage throughout the round, easily hitting Peart hard in the head and body.Peart was lucky enough to make it to the third round, as he was saved by the bell in each of the first two rounds, but could not escape the third, when he was knocked out.

Brian Kantar v. Andrew BreslinIn the final quarterfinal of the 170 pound weight class, senior Andrew Breslin delivered an enormous uppercut in the second round to defeat freshman Brian Kantar.Breslin had tried to use his uppercuts earlier in the first round, but Kantar was too quick for him, countering with quick jabs. The first was a relatively equal match, with the two fighters trading punches throughout the round.But the freshman could do nothing to defend himself from the knockout punch in the second, after which the referee was compelled to stop the fight, giving the win to Kantar.

Daniel "Pound Town" Ward v. Andy "Doogie" HouserThe first fight in the 180 pound division was a blowout by junior Daniel "Pound Town" Ward over fellow junior Andy "Doogie" Houser.Ward had the clear advantage in height, speed and strength, and merely toyed with Houser for three rounds. Almost none of Houser's punches landed because Ward was able to block or dodge most of them. Ward would then attack Houser quickly and move away to avoid any counterattack.

Robert Lochridge v. Brian BylicaThe bout between seniors Robert Lochridge and Brian Bylica featured wild, frantic punching by both fighters, resulting in a split decision win for Lochridge.Lochridge and Bylica traded punches for much of the first round, but Lochridge took the advantage by working Bylica's body at the end of the round. Brian fought back throughout the second, forcing Lochridge to go on the defensive, including being forced by the referee to have a standing eight count.In a relatively equal third round, Lochridge was the slightly better fighter and won in a split decision.

Jeffrey "The Golenator" Golen v. Ben O'BrienDespite throwing many big punches, sophomore Ben O'Brien lost to senior Jeffrey "The Golenator" Golen in a unanimous decision.One of the biggest assets for Golen in the fight was O'Brien's inaccuracy, which left him wide open to counterattacks. In the second round, O'Brien was able to slightly even things up, but Golen was still stronger throughout the round..

Eric Retter v. Daniel StypulaThe last 180-pound quarterfinal was a sloppy fight between juniors Eric Retter and Daniel Stypula, one that Stypula won in a split decision.The two traded punches throughout the fight, but many of the punches thrown were highly inaccurate. Retter started off strong in the second round, chasing Stypula around the ring, but was not able to take a clear advantage over his opponent due to a high rate of missed punches. Retter was more aggressive in the third round, but Stypula was able to land several punches, giving him the win in a split decision.

Pat Bloniarz v. Peter CourtneyThe first cruiserweight fight of this year's Bengal Bouts featured a knockout win for sophomore Peter Courtney over freshman Pat Bloniarz by knockout in the first.After three consecutive big hits by Courtney, Bloniarz already was in a standing eight count, and would receive his second in the first round shortly thereafter. Courtney hit him with just a few more punches until the referee stopped the fight in the first, advancing Courtney to the semifinals.

Patrick K. Ryan v. Benford BegayA relatively equal fight between sophomore Patrick K. Ryan and freshman Benford Begay ended abruptly in the third round when Begay went down suddenly with what appeared to be a dislocated jaw.The fight started off in favor of Ryan, who used his height advantage to stop Begay. Begay tried to get in low against Ryan, and deliver combinations as a counterattack.Ryan continued to work these combinations in the second and third rounds while Begay began to fight higher, attacking Ryan's face and evening up the fight.In the middle of the third round, Begay suddenly and quickly went to the mat, although he was not hit. The referee stopped the fight then and checked on the freshman, who stood up and was fine after being treated by the medical staff on site. Ryan was declared the winner by knockout in the third round.

Patrick McInerney v. Christopher NanovicThe first heavyweight fight of the evening, between sophomore Patrick McInerney and junior Christopher Nanovic, was another sloppy fight characterized by wild punches.The wild punching was mainly done by Nanovic, who swung frantically at McInerney without hitting him consistently. McInerney, on the other hand, was able to get in some big hits in the second round to gain the clear advantage. He won in a unanimous decision.

Clarence Ervin III v. Kevin LynchThe evening's penultimate fight featured senior Clarence Ervin III knocking out law student Kevin Lynch in the third round.Although the first round was mostly defensive, with the two boxers protecting themselves and trying to get a read on the other fighter, the second round was very aggressively fought, especially by Ervin. Ervin attacked Lynch, working the face throughout the round and forcing multiple standing eight counts. Ervin was still much stronger than Lynch in the third, and won by knockout early in the third round.

Matt "Bad to the" Bono v. John BushThe final quarterfinal bout was a heavyweight match-up between freshman Matt "Bad to the" Bono and junior John Bush, who won the fight in a unanimous decision.Bush started off the fight aggressively, keeping Bono at bay with his advantage in height and reach. But Bono was still able to respond somewhat by getting inside on occasion and working the body.Bono came out strong in the third round, but was too tired from Bush's onslaught, leading to the junior's victory by unanimous decision.