Thursday, May 9, 2024

SMC Softball: Belles to play two games

The Belles will play their first Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) game Saturday at 1 p.m., taking on Adrian College at home.

While Saint Mary's (10-4) has had more success this season than the Bulldogs (9-7), Belles head coach Erin Sullivan said her team is taking nothing for granted.

"I think that Adrian is a team that is often overlooked," Sullivan said. "So we need to play with the same intensity as we do against teams that we know are very talented."

The Belles are coming off a split in a doubleheader against Manchester on Wednesday. The team struggled in their first game, falling 2-1. They fought back and claimed a 9-1 win in game two.

The Belles, who have been strong at the plate all year scored six runs in the fifth inning alone. Third baseman Laura Heline and designated hitter McKenna Corrigan each drove in two runs in the game.

Freshman pitcher Kristin Amram struck out thirteen batters, breaking the school record, in the second game. The win was Amram's fifth of the season.

Sullivan said the Belles will try to keep the intensity from the second game against Manchester going into this weekend's game.

"We just need to come out focused and ready to play," Sullivan said. "We are a truly talented team and our offense has been dominating. If we hit the way we have been hitting all season, we will have two more wins come Saturday night."