Three phones and counting ...

If only my cell phone had nine lives...

This year, I learned that nothing in life comes easy. All college students are faced with daily challenges and, as part of the growing up process, need to deal with them without the help of their parents. Some things that seem simple can just drive you crazy. What specific simple thing I am referring to is the almighty cell phone.

I have had the unfortunate experience as to break/drop/lose/damage my cell phone multiple times this year. Was it my fault? Well, yes, sometimes it was. Dropping the cell phone down multiple flights of stairs was all me. Some things, though, were out of my control. I mean who put that toilet there?

Going against my parents' advice, I guess a belt clip would avoid all of the dropping and mishandling, but what fun is that?

For me, it is hard enough to keep track of my cell phone, but trying to get a new one entirely in South Bend is a nightmare. It has taught me to appreciate the essence of the cell phone and protect it with my life so I don't have to go through that ordeal again.

You would think getting a new phone would be easy, but both times I had to replace my poor phone I ended up paying full price for a whole new one because it was too much of a hassle to go through the motions of filing a police report for losing it (yes, you actually have to do that if you have insurance), explaining it to my parents, or activating a new one. And I even had insurance! What is insurance for if you have to buy a new phone every time?

I am not blaming any of my misfortune on Verizon - even though it would make my parents feel better - but just the overall process. Ugh.

Spending the entire day at the mall trying to plead with Verizon to give me a new phone is really draining. It really is.

If you know what kind of phone I have, you would probably be shocked that after all that work, I don't have the top-of-the-line phone. I am smarter than that. My new phone has been the cheapest, most durable and biggest piece of equipment in the store.

Sure, it would be cool to have a new Razor or a camera phone, but with my consistent history of banging up my cell phone, that makes no sense.

I am proud to say that I have had my newest cell phone for two months - knock on wood - and I have not been back to Verizon yet. Impressive, eh?

Oh, it's the little things in life that bring us the most satisfaction.