Women's Golf: Brophy is one of few bright spots for team

Before last week's 'Mo' Morial Tournament in Bryan, Texas, Notre Dame women's golf coach Debby King said that she was hoping for a top-six finish for her team among the field of 18.

Instead, the Irish finished last in the event as host Texas A&M tied Arkansas for a share of the tournament victory.

The Irish finished with a three-round score of 1,012, posting disappointing team scores of 334, 329 and 349.

Senior co-captain Katie Brophy was one of the few bright spots for Notre Dame as she finished 16th among the 96 golfers.

Ashley Knoll from Texas A&M won the individual title at the 'Mo' with a two-over-par three-round total of 218 (74-70-74), seven shots ahead of her closest challenger, TCU's Elin Emanuelsson.

King was disappointed with the performance of her players and the effects it may have on their chances of reaching post-season play.

"I think our performance last week hurt our chances for an NCAA bid," she said after the tournament.

However, Notre Dame must regroup quickly as it travels to Hawaii for the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational this Tuesday and Wednesday.

And, despite her team's sub-par finish in the first two tournaments of the spring, King remains optimistic about the potential of the Irish to place well in this event, which will be held at the par-72 Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course.

"A top-four finish [out of 12 competing teams] would be pretty good and it would be great if we could finish higher than that," King said.