College Park changes its name

The apartment complex formerly known as College Park recently announced its new name - Stadium Club Condominiums - as part of a series of changes under the direction of a new management company, a representative said Tuesday.

Susan Miller, leasing agent and manager for Stadium Club Condominiums, said the Bulla Rd. housing complex officially changed its moniker March 20. Since then, current and future residents have been notified of the name switch in order to avoid confusion.

New signage will be posted "within the next two weeks," she said.

"We just felt that we liked [the name] Stadium Club because Notre Dame is all about the stadium," Miller said. "College Park never had a logo so there wasn't anything to identify it with."

College Park has never been known by another name, she said.

Miller said Real Estate Management Corporation - the largest for-fee property management company in northern Indiana and southwest Michigan - took over the housing complex in March as the result of an "everyday business operation." The 20-year-old company manages approximately 1,000 housing units throughout South Bend, Plymouth, Logansport, Argos and Milford, Ind.

The shift in management has resulted in a series of "upgrades," including both restoration projects and managerial changes, Miller said.

"The first upgrade is on-site management - that's a good thing for an apartment complex," she said. "You'll notice that all other large apartment complexes in the area have them."

Miller said the addition of on-site management - not the new name - would be the "biggest change" at the complex. And residents have already gotten used to these modifications.

"I've met a few tenants and they're very happy that there's on-site management and a different management company," she said. "I think they are already seeing positive changes at the property. When you take over management, the changes don't happen right away - we make small changes as we go."

The apartment complex's former management company - Paramount Management - clashed with Notre Dame students last year when a winter storm severely damaged eight housing units.

A company representative said the failure of students to heat their apartments during winter break caused ruptured pipes, but students contended they were wrongly blamed for the damage. In a Jan. 28 article, The Observer reported three students pursued a lawsuit against Paramount in response to the incident.