College welcomes, recognizes donors

Saint Mary's College will host approximately 250 people this weekend for its 25th annual Donor Recognition Weekend in honor of those who have made significant monetary contributions to the College.

According to Melanie McDonald, director of public relations at Saint Mary's, guests include members of the Madeleva Society, who contribute $1000 or more annually, members of the Mother Pauline Society, who designate gifts in their estate or financial plans and members of Donors of Endowment Priorities, whose donations support faculty positions, scholarships, the Cushwa-Leighton Library and programs that support a "richer intellectual life on campus."

"[The weekend] provides the opportunity to show donors the significance of their investment in our outstanding faculty and students, in our programming, facilities and resources, and in our overall academic excellence," McDonald said.

According to McDonald, some slight changes have been made to the weekend.

"We expanded the program to two full days of activities, enabling our donors to [better] experience the impact of their investment," she said.

The event officially kicked off yesterday at 7:30 p.m. with a lecture in Moreau Hall by professor of theology at Loyola University of Chicago, Susan Ross, according to the Recognition Weekend Web site. It was followed by a reception and book signing at 8:30 p.m.

"These people believe in Saint Mary's and have invested in our present and future success," McDonald said.

Activities resume today and include an open house and campus tours, lectures and activities including "Be a Student for a Day" and an opportunity to attend an evening rehearsal of the upcoming Saint Mary's opera, "Witness."

On Saturday, donors will have the chance to further explore the Saint Mary's campus by visiting the Shaheen Bookstore, walking the College's Nature Trail or working out in Angela Athletic Facility.

McDonald said the weekend will officially end Saturday evening with Mass at the Church of Our Lady of Loretto, followed by a reception in O'Laughlin Auditorium and a gala dinner to be held in the Noble Family Dining Hall.