SMC Softball: Belles take one of two with Eagles

Saint Mary's split a home doubleheader with Robert Morris Tuesday, winning the first game 5-2 but dropping the second 6-1.

"Our intensity going into the first game was excellent," Belles head coach Erin Sullivan said. "We were relaxed going into the second. We didn't have enough time to come back."

Saint Mary's took an early lead in the first game, capitalizing on an error by Robert Morris shortstop Nichele Ratliff. Sarah Miesle reached second on the miscue and third baseman McKenna Corrigan drove her in with an RBI double.

Belles right fielder Calli Davison and center fielder Audrey Gajor made it 3-0 in the third inning with a pair of RBI singles.

Saint Mary's freshman Kristin Amram strong off the mound in the opener. She struck out 11 and allowed six hits. The win was Amram's seventh of the season.

"We pulled together at the clutch time," said Amram. "[We hit] when we needed to hit."

Saint Mary's infielder Megan Marenkovic added an RBI double in the fourth and Davison scored on a fielding error by Robert Morris second baseman Katelyn Contreras in the fifth to give the Belles a 5-0 lead.

The Lady Eagles cut into the lead in the sixth when right fielder Jesse Razim's sacrifice fly and third baseman Jen Long's an RBI single. But that was all Robert Morris could muster, as Amram pitched a perfect seventh to secure the win.

In the second game, powerful left-handed pitcher Bethany Toyias kept the Belles in check en route to a 6-1 Robert Morris victory. Toyias struck out 11 from the mound in the complete game. Long went 2-for-4, scoring two runs and designated player Shauna Robertson drove in two.

Miesle knocked in the only run for Saint Mary's in the sixth with an RBI single that scored Davison from second.

Saint Mary's committed four errors in the loss, and all but one of the five runs Belles senior Bridget Grall surrendered was unearned.

"We had much better defense in the first [game]," Sullivan said. "We made too many mental errors [in the second]."

Robert Morris jumped ahead in the top of the third of game two when Ratliff and Robertson scored on errors

Amram said that the Belles were not prepared for the Robert Morris' speed in the nightcap.

Robert Morris finished off the game in the seventh inning with a four-run barrage to put the game out of reach at the decisive score of 6-1.

Saint Mary's plays Hope in a home game today at 3:30 p.m.