Softball: Irish shut out Ball State 6-0

Notre Dame shortstop Katie Laing's two-run triple in the bottom of the first inning Tuesday drove in one more run than the team needed.

The Irish defeated Ball State 6-0 at Ivy Field moving their record to 24-12 (7-1 in the Big East). The entire team looked sharp out of the gates even though it was playing a non-conference opponent.

"I think after the [4-2 loss to Akron April 5] they realized when they aren't focused or intense stuff like that will happen, so we were ready to go, " Irish coach Deanna Gumpf said.

Notre Dame pitchers recorded their 12th shutout on the season, with all three Irish hurlers seeing action Tuesday.

Irish senior Heather Booth started the game and was virtually untouched in her four innings of hitless work. Her only blemish was a walk in the fourth - which was quickly followed by her fifth and final strikeout.

Notre Dame junior Kenya Fuemmeler replaced Booth and continued right where the senior left off. Fuemmeler kept the Cardinals off the scoreboard and allowed only one hit in two innings.

Gumpf said she made the change so Fuemmeler could get back on her feet after suffering from the flu earlier in the week. Freshman Brittany Bargar replaced Fuemmeler in the seventh to close out the game.

"Kenya, Bargar and I just seemed to be in a good rhythm as a staff keeping Ball State's hitters off balance," said Booth.

The only Irish runs after three in the first inning came in the sixth. Notre Dame sophomore Brittany Glynn crushed a two-run homer down the left field line in her fourth at bat of the season. It was the first hit of her collegiate career.

Glynn came into the game in the fourth inning, replacing Irish junior Stephanie Brown - who came out of the game due to a shoulder injury she sustained in the dugout from a foul ball off the bat of Irish junior Carissa Jaquish.

In her next at-bat Jaquish hit another fluke foul ball, this time hitting herself in the lip. The blow required stitches and she was forced to join Brown in the dugout.

"We had a lot of crazy things happen out there today," said Gumpf.

Gumpf said both players will be back in the line-up shortly.

Notre Dame will host DePual Thursday in a doubleheader.

The first game will start at 4 p.m.