SMC valedictorian exhibits appreciation for family support

With the motto "work hard, play hard," Saint Mary's senior and class valedictorian Carrie Korf will be graduating Saturday with a degree in business administration with a double concentration in marketing and management, and a minor in mathematics.

"I feel honored and blessed," Korf said of being named valedictorian.

While she did not seek out the honor, the two-time president of Toastmasters International III - a public speaking club on campus - said she wanted to get the most out of her education "in an effort to show appreciation to my parents for the sacrifices they have made so that I could attend a private liberal arts college."

It is evident Korf has strong family ties; in fact, she said she has only grown closer with her family that lives 500 miles away in central Minn., calling this her greatest accomplishment throughout the past four years.

"Life is short," she said. "Stay in touch with those you care about."

The self-proclaimed product of "a town so small it defines the term," Korf said she attributes her upbringing with her strong sense of values and work ethic, both of which are evident in her past accomplishments and her plans for the future.

"After working for a few years, I aim to get an MBA at a top tier business school," she said. "My long term goal is to head a profit and loss business unit, start my own company, or be the president of one."

But first, Korf said she looks forward to relaxing and job searching. She said that Saint Mary's has helped her become more open minded and also taught her valuable and practical experiences in teamwork.

What will she miss the most?

"My friends," said Korf, adding that her favorite memories are those that involved road trips with her roommates and Tuesday nights at Corby's Bar.