Football: Weis says Schwapp injury not serious

Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis said an injury to sophomore fullback Asaph Schwapp in the third quarter was not serious.

Schwapp crumpled to the ground after a run by Darius Walker was stopped for a 6-yard loss. He lay on the turf for more than a minute before limping off the field with the help of two Irish trainers. The injury appeared to be to Schwapp's leg.

"It just locked up on him," Weis said. "The same thing happened in practice the other day."

He said Schwapp was ready to return later in the game but with the game in hand, Weis didn't see the point of risking further injury.

"I think you have to be smart when you're a coach if you're in that situation," Weis said. "You don't put a guy back in the game there. Let's worry about having him ready for Michigan."

Senior Ashley McConnell replaced Schwapp. McConnell rushed for two yards on his only carry.

- Grimes limited in duty

Sophomore wide receiver David Grimes saw only limited action and did not fill his usual role of kickoff returner Saturday due to an injury.

Weis said he moved Grimes behind senior Chase Anastasio on the depth chart for precautionary reasons.

"[Grimes] was a little banged up this week and I didn't use him because I didn't think I had to," Weis said. "We were flip-flopping him and Chase at practice this week because he was banged up. I figured it would be better off just to hold off on him."

- Seeing action

Irish sophomore quarterback Evan Sharpley took his first career snaps Saturday.

Sharpley played one series, handing off twice to freshman Munir Prince - his first career carries - and rushing for a 2-yard gain on his own.

- Shutout streak

Penn State kicker Kevin Kelly's field goal with 11:29 left in the third quarter was the first points scored on Notre Dame's defense in more than 68 minutes.

The last points scored on the Irish before that were a field goal by Georgia Tech in the second quarter of Notre Dame's 14-10 win Sept. 2.

- Keeper of site honored

Notre Dame Monogram Club Executive Director Jim Fraleigh awarded Easter Heathman, of Bazaar, Kan., with an honorary monogram at Friday's pep rally at Notre Dame Stadium.

Heathman, who was 13-years-old when a plane carrying former Irish head coach Knute Rockne crashed on his family's farm in 1931, has tended to the crash site for 75 years, giving tours and keeping a collection of Rockne memorabilia.

- Towels for Hannah

Fans entering Notre Dame Stadium on Saturday received green towels to wave.

The towels, which read "Go Irish! 9-3 is not good enough," also included the logo of Hannah and Friends, Weis' charity for developmentally disabled children.

- Coin toss

Penn State won the coin toss and elected to defer its choice to the second half.

Notre Dame received the kickoff and defended the south goal to start the game. The Irish have received the opening kickoff in both of their games this season.