Belles have high hopes for tourney

Two days after a third place finish at its home tournament, Saint Mary's will compete in its third MIAA Jamboree of the season Tuesday at Macatawa Legends Country Club - an event hosted by Hope College.

Tri-State and Olivet will be the teams to beat according to the team. Saint Mary's will look to improve upon the weekend results, and given their significant jump to the top of the rankings (where they currently sit in fourth) - the Belles have proven they have the ability to beat out their top opponents.

Sophomore Meredith Fantom feels confident the team will do well this tournament and that the team is mentally and physically rested from their one-day tournament this past weekend.

"We all have areas to improve," she said. "We just need to eliminate bad shots and focus on getting the ball to the hole."

The 18-hole course in Holland, Mich. resides in a residential development and has a reputation for being windy.

"Wind is always a factor in golf, but I'm confident that we have learned as a team how to use it to our advantage," Fantom said.

Only two golfers on the team have played Macatawa before but Fantom says they will "share their knowledge" about how the course will play.

Team captain Katie O'Brien will not participate for the second tournament in a row after sitting out the Blackthorn tournament this weekend due to an illness. Instead, sophomore Alex Sei and freshman Kate Doornbos will set the pace for the Belles. Doornbos was named Saint Mary's Athlete of the Week for her leadership and strong performance during the MIAA Jamboree at Blackthorn.

Sophomores Katie McInerney, Perri Hamma, Caroline Doubeck and Meredith Fantom will also compete for Saint Mary's.

"I know the team is ready...to come out and shoot low," Fantom said. "I am confident that we will show these teams just how good Saint Mary's is."