Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Donations break $180 million

Notre Dame benefactors went above and beyond in the 2006 fiscal year and the University has the numbers - a record-high $180.7 million to be exact - to prove it, officials announced Monday.

The amount is the highest the University has ever received in cash contributions from alumni, parents and friends of Notre Dame, not including account pledges of future gifts, according to a University press release.

"This record year in fund raising is tangible evidence of the enthusiasm in the Notre Dame family for the bold vision of our new president, Father John Jenkins. Indeed, Notre Dame benefactors are our co-creators in this venture, advancing the mission and tradition of the University in exceptional and exciting ways," said Lou Nanni, vice president for University Relations.

The previous high of $173.7 million in 2004 was set largely due to the $50 million donation from the estate of Joan Kroc, the largest single contribution in the University's history.

"These fund-raising records are a tribute to the loyalty and insight of the Notre Dame family and the hard work of our dedicated development team," University President Father John Jenkins said in the release.

New records were also set in a variety of categories.

Unrestricted giving hit a record high $25.4 million, exceeding last year's record by $2.5 million. $17.6 million of that total were contributed by members of the Edward Frederick Sorin Society, the Founders Circle and President's Circle members, who donate $1,000, $3,000 and $25,000, respectively, each year in unrestricted gifts.

A record-high 53.2 percent of undergraduate alumni donated in the 2006 fiscal year, breaking the record of 53 percent set in 1994.

The University also received a record $132.4 million in new pledge commitments, five of which were for $10 million or more.

Overall development production was $247.2 million, exceeding last year's record of $200.2 million.

The Law School received $14.8 million in donations due to the increased push to raise money for the renovation of the school.