Police issue 25 tickets, make 7 custodial arrests

Police issued 22 arrest tickets to adults and made seven custodial arrests for misdemeanor violations of liquor laws before and during Saturday's home football game against Purdue University.

Three additional arrest tickets were issued to juveniles for alcohol related offenses, such as minor consuming or minor in possession of alcohol, Associate Director of Notre Dame Security/Police (NDSP) Phil Johnson said in an e-mail Monday. Six of the custodial arrests were for public intoxication and one was for minor in possession of alcohol.

Police transported offenders to St. Joseph County Jail, Johnson said.

During the game, 18 people were removed from Notre Dame Stadium for "alcohol related offenses," three were arrested for public intoxication and one was "sent to a local hospital due to intoxication," Johnson said.

In addition, nine people were issued trespass notices "banning them from campus property." Most were issued for urinating in a public place or violating other University rules, Johnson said.

One man was also arrested for trespassing while re-selling tickets on campus.

Several notices were issued to people for selling merchandise on campus property, Johnson said.

NDSP was assisted outside the stadium by Indiana State Excise Police, South Bend Police and St. Joseph County Police.

Johnson did not specify whether preliminary breath tests (PBTs) were used or if police officers were in uniform or plain-clothed.

"NDSP will continue to work with other area police officials for next week's home football game against Stanford," he said.

Johnson said that if football weekend festivities include the use of alcoholic beverages, Indiana laws should be followed.

"Don't let alcohol get in the way of your safety or fun or keep you from enjoying a great football game," Johnson said. "Keep in mind that laws regarding the use of alcohol will be enforced and you are responsible for your conduct.

"Law enforcement officers will arrest underage drinkers on campus and at tailgate parties."