SMC Volleyball: Belles not takin 0-8 Comets lightly

Olivet hasn't won a match all season. But that doesn't mean the Belles have a freebie this weekend.

The Belles (12-6, 5-4 MIAA), who are fifth in the MIAA conference, will take on Olivet tonight. Olivet (0-17, 0-8 MIAA) is last in the conference and the only team without a win this season.

Saint Mary's hopes to recover from its recent loss against the MIAA leader No. 19 Calvin. The Knights, who are 10-0 in the conference and 17-1 overall, swept the Belles in straight games 30-16, 30-19, 30-19 on Wednesday.

With Olivet on the other side of the MIAA conference standings, the Belles hope to improve their fortunes and keep the Comets at the bottom of the MIAA pile.

Saint Mary's head coach Julie Schroeder-Biek says the team is ready.

"We have had some ups and downs over the past week, but I am looking forward to our Olivet match," Schroeder-Biek said.

After losing two conference matches in a row, Schroeder-Biek knows her team has some things to work on.

"We need to come in strong and take care of our game," Schroeder-Biek said. "We need to get in the flow of competition again as a squad - much more talk out on the court, [and] everyone coming prepared to compete. Our primary goals [are to] work hard together to get in sync again."

The Belles have already taken on Olivet once already this season, beating the Comets 3-0 on Sept. 7 with game victories of 30-19, 30-39 and 30-25.

Key players to watch in tonight's game will be sophomore middle blocker Cathy Kurczack and senior setter Amanda David. Both players were honorable mentions for the MIAA Conference Player and Specialty Player of the week.

The Belles take on the Comets tonight at 7 p.m. at Olivet.