Tae Kwon Do granted club status

Saint Mary's Board of Governance members discussed campus issues and awarded club status to the World Tae Kwon Do Federation at their meeting Monday night.

Two weeks ago BOG did not vote on whether it would award club status to the group because members did not feel they had enough information on what role Saint Mary's had in the Notre Dame-based club.

Members of the club returned Monday to clarify that the group wanted to be an officially recognized club at Saint Mary's because it would provide recognition on campus for students who wanted to join.

They also said while they would prefer to hold practices on Saint Mary's campus, they realize there is no facility available on campus to practice safely. As a result, they will continue practicing at Notre Dame.

Tri-campus commissioner Alanna Chiefari said it seemed like the group had examined the situation and motioned to grant the federation club status. The motion was passed.

In other BOG news:

uStudent body president Susan McIlduff told the board that the Regina Hall pool has been permanently closed.

"[Originally] the pool was going to be reopened, but it was in such bad condition that to refurbish it [it would cost too much money]," McIlduff said.

McIlduff also said the abundance of raccoons on campus has been noticed, and is being dealt with.

"We're hoping if we move the garbage cans, especially the ones by the tennis court and in front of LeMans, that the raccoons may find a new home," she said.

uStudent Services commissioner Kelly Maus reported that she had met with Barry Bowles, the director of Sodexho, the company that provides food service for the College.

Maus said students are interested in nutrition facts and what is actually in each section of the dining hall.

"There's actually a nutrition counter [online] of everything that the dining hall serves," Maus said.

On the site, students can make a page laying out everything they have eaten during a week and find out how many calories they ate, among other things. Maus is working to get a link to the Web site on the Saint Mary's home page so that it is more easily accessible.

Maus also talked to Bowles about the possibility of having alternatives to Dalloway's pasta bar, which was introduced last year.

"I'm going to work with him [to find] options that are feasible for [Sodexho]," Maus said.

uThe Sophomore Class Board is selling "SMC loves Football" T-shirts at dinner all this week. The shirts cost $5, and sophomore class president Francesca Johnson hopes students will wear the shirts when they go to the Army pep rally that Saint Mary's is hosting.