Auction to raise money for charity

Despite the unseasonably pleasant weather, the holiday season is well underway at Notre Dame. And as part of the celebration, Pasquerilla East is hosting its signature charity event - the "Silent Night Silent Auction" - tonight from 7 to 10 p.m. in the LaFortune Ballroom.

Students, faculty and staff will have the opportunity to bid on items like footballs signed by legendary NFL quarterback Joe Montana and Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn, tickets to see a Chicago Cubs baseball game, a digital printer and multiple themed baskets.

In addition to the opportunity to bid on items, participants can enjoy holiday food and music. The Undertones, an all-male a cappella group, will perform at 9 p.m. and Starbucks hot chocolate and pastries will be served as well.

In holding with the giving spirit of the season, funds from the silent auction will go to two charity organizations: Hannah and Friends and Camp Kesem. Hannah and Friends is a non-profit organization established by Irish football coach Charlie Weis and his wife Maura dedicated to promoting support and compassion for individuals with special needs. Camp Kesem is a camp dedicated to providing a safe and encouraging environment for children whose parents either have cancer, are in remission from cancer or who have died from cancer.

The organizers of the event said they are excited for this year's silent auction, which combines holiday cheer with a worthy cause, and hope it will draw a large crowd.

"We hope to raise as much money as possible for these very worthy charities while kicking off the holiday season," said Lauren Bennett, one of the organizers for the event. For the past two years, the silent auction has been held in Legends, but this year it was moved to the LaFortune Ballroom in hopes of attracting a greater number of participants.

"We decided to move it to a more central location in order to attract and encourage more people to come," organizer Laura Hansen said.

In addition to its new location, organizers decided to move the event to a date closer to Christmas.

"The [PE] girls wanted to move the event closer to Christmas so that people could get their Christmas shopping done for their friends and buy unique gifts without leaving campus," Hansen said. Hansen added that the baskets are perfect holiday gifts, with movie, game and spa themes.

Junior Anita Lyons said she hopes to win the Brady Quinn signed football so she can give it as a Christmas gift to her cousin.

"I promised my cousin I would get her something signed by Brady Quinn," she said. "[The plan] has not worked out so far, so this would be a better alternative to getting my cousin a Christmas present than stalking Father Doyle."