Indecision 2006: why Chocola and Donnelly each lost a vote

In recent election years, a common complaint of voters has been that choosing between the Republican and Democratic candidates has been a decision between the "lesser of two evils." In 2004, for example, there was a sentiment among moderate liberals that although John Kerry wasn't an ideal candidate for the White House, "at least he's not Bush." In 2000, many conservative Americans acknowledged that Bush had some superficial deficiencies, but couldn't fathom the idea of Al Gore seizing control of the free world. I've never subscribed to the "lesser of two evils" theory - until this year.

More so than any election I can remember, the local Congressional race has consisted almost entirely of mudslinging, with little or no substance behind it. Chris Chocola's message was that Joe Donnelly is a man of low character and professional integrity. Donnelly's message was the Chocola has, in his current position, acted in ways that don't serve the best interests of Hoosier families. And you know what? Both parties made their arguments very convincingly. As a result, yesterday, for the first time since I reached legal age, I exercised my right to not vote in a Congressional election. The candidate that wins may well go on to accomplish some great things in Washington, but he won't do so on the basis of any claims he made on the campaign trail. Therefore, he also won't be getting to Washington with the help of my vote.

Aaron Zielinski

senior

Off-campus

Nov. 7