Vary the stadium wave

There are two very different views on the wave's place in Notre Dame Stadium. One is that it belongs in the same place as "thunder sticks," and that place is nowhere near any sporting event (but that's a whole different issue). The other view is that it is harmless and fun. I happen to fall somewhere in between these views, but I want to bring up a few rules that I feel are necessary for good "waving."

The first rule is that the game needs to be out of hand. This will be defined as a lead of over twenty points late in the third quarter. This means that the wave is not allowed late in the first half when we're trying to score more points (like this past week's game). The second rule is that we have to make the wave unique. We're talking about Notre Dame here. There are currently scientists working around the clock to find a way for us to "light up the universe." No ordinary wave will do.

I suggest two wave variations to get us started. The first is to split the wave into two parts. This has been done before; it's when the student section sends the wave back in the opposite direction so that two waves cross each other. The second is to do the slow motion wave. To my knowledge this has never been done before. During this variation, the student section will slow the wave down by standing up slowly and waiting a longer amount of time before starting their own individual wave.

There is, of course, one more alternative to consider: sit (or stand) on your seat and watch the bloody football game.

David Heroux

sophomore

Zahm Hall

Nov. 6