Brey addresses decision

Two days after Notre Dame suspended sophomore basketball player Kyle McAlarney, the University had not released official information, although head coach Mike Brey commented on the situation after the team's 71-68 loss to St. John's Tuesday.

Brey - who spoke about his developing bond with McAlarney as the season progressed - said he was devastated when informed of the Office of Residence Life and Housing's decision to suspend the guard for the spring and summer semesters.

"I love Kyle McAlarney," Brey told the New York Post following Tuesday's game. "He's really like a son to me and I miss him. To say that wasn't a dagger to all of us would be an understatement."

McAlarney was arrested in the early morning hours of Dec. 29 on marijuana possession charges. Janice McAlarney, Kyle's mother, said Brey and Athletic Director Kevin White were "shocked" by the University's decision, which she said came after her son's meeting Monday with Residence Life and Housing officials.

Senior Associate Athletics Director John Heisler and Notre Dame sports information director Bernie Cafarelli both declined to comment Tuesday. Cafarelli said Brey could not comment either.

Associate Vice President for News and Information Don Wycliff and Residence Life and Housing Associate Director Lori Maurer also said Tuesday they could not comment on individual disciplinary cases.

McAlarney's arrest happened close to campus, hours after the sophomore scored a career-high 21 points in a Notre Dame victory over Rider.

He entered the St. Joseph's County pre-trial diversion program, a system that gives subjects the opportunity to have charges expunged from their records, on Jan. 18.

McAlarney was averaging 10.3 points and 5.4 assists per game prior to his suspension.

The Observer could not reach McAlarney for comment Wednesday.