The Observer is a Student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame & Saint Mary's. Learn more about us.



Bengal Bouts: Hartstein topples White in 140 lb. slugfest

Lorenzo Reyes | Thursday, February 22, 2007

Defense was optional in the match between Keough junior White and Hartstein, a freshman Roo. Hartstein beat White when the ref stopped the fight one minute into the third round. Round one started with the dorm mates flinging thunderous punches at each other. Although White made an attempt to block some punches, Hartstein connected on a higher percentage of his blows.In the second round, Hartstein connected with a fury of power punches, forcing White into a standing eight count. White’s inability to block and protect his head helped Hartstein control the fight. Hartstein forced White into standing eight count.Crazy punching continued in the last round, as Hartstein landing shots to both the head and body.

Michael Johnson def. John ThomsonDillon freshman Johnson beat Thomson, a sophomore from Fisher, in a split decision.The first round saw Johnson corner Thomson and land an array of punches early in the fight. Johnson made it a point to target both the head and body to make Thomson’s blocking more difficult. Although Johnson was taking control of the round, he was having trouble defending, and Thomson was able to land some combinations. In the second round, Thomson connected several blows forcing Johnson to stumble about the ring. Johnson responded with a string of hooks and jabs, forcing the referee to stop the fight momentarily due to blood on Thomson’s face.In the third round, Thomson began throwing several combinations at Johnson, who was able to successfully counter, due to his quick head movement that enabled him to avoid punches. Johnson finished the match strong with a set of combinations, eventually earning him a split decision.

Nate Dyer def. R.J. JacobiIn the end, it was Dyer, an off-campus senior, won a unanimous decision over O’Neill sophomore Jacobi on one of the night’s most entertaining fights.Dyer landed several combinations in the first round, forcing Jacobi to block and defend. Dyer also did an excellent job of dancing around the ring to avoid blows and eventually countered with some power punches. The second round started with the crowd roaring chants of “R.J.” that fired the boxer up. However, Dyer stole the thunder from the crowd and fought back with determination, landing several jab-hook combos. Dyer proved to be the flashier fighter, blocking punches well.Dyer worked Jacobi’s body in the last round. However, Jacobi fought on with a serious string of counter punches. Dyer displayed excellent footwork, as Jacobi improved his blocking in the end of the fight. However, his lack of opportunities gave Dyer the nod.

145 lb.

Hull def. Ben FotschIn a battle between two Bouts rookies, the Zahmbie freshman Hull took out St. Ed’s freshman Fotsch unanimously.Round one started with Fotsch swinging punches with a lack of control, to which Hull blocked and countered effectively. Fotsch worked the body, but Hull’s reach proved to be useful when attacking his opponent’s head.Both fighters traded power punches in the second round, with Fotsch landing the majority of his attempts. In what was a very close round, Hull continued to use his reach, but his defense deteriorated causing him significant trouble. The third round began with Fotsch landing several combinations. However, Hull countered with a straight right to his opponent’s chest knocking him off his feet. This was the swing of momentum Hull needed to earn him a unanimous victory.

Matt Posluzny vs. Matthew IretonPosluzny, sophomore from St. Ed’s, pulled off a unanimous over Ireton, an off-campus senior.Posluzny started with a flurry of strong punches against his opponent. Posluzny used his height and his reach to frustrate Ireton throughout the fight, causing him to resort to blocking and defensive fighting.Posluzny came out swinging in the second round. Ireton countered with some punches, but not enough to inflict sufficient damage. Posluzny continued a barrage of combos, causing the referee to stop the fight for a standing eight count. The sophomore from St. Ed’s went to a well-timed jab-uppercut combo that caused the crowd to roar – and blood to trickle form Ireton’s face. Ireton resorted to desperate defensive tactics in round three. However, Posluzny’s punches proved to be too strong for his opponent. Rival crowds began to get involved and fire up the fighters. Posluzny’s supporters had more to cheer about once he finished off the match with a solid combination.

Conor Douglass def. Kent GonzalezDouglass, a sophomore from Sorin, recorded a unanimous win over Gonzalez, a sophomore from O’Neill.Both boxers traded combinations and counter punched effectively in the first round. They also displayed poor defense in the early going of the match. Douglass attempted to work the body and landed solid hooks inflicting a standing eight count.Round two saw Douglass land a solid punch, dazing Gonzalez early. However, the sophomore from O’Neill fought back courageously landing some counterpunches. However, it was his lack of defense that enabled Douglass to bleed from the nose forcing another count. Douglass’ windups connected more often than Gonzalez in the third. Gonzalez lost control of the fight after Douglass continued to pinpoint his bloody nose, causing the referees top award the fight to Douglass.

Patrick Kibbe def. Charlie JainKibbe, a sophomore from Knott, unanimously eliminated Jain, a freshman from Zahm.Kibbe used his long arms in round one to work his jab and his one-two combinations. The sophomore from Knott also displayed excellent footwork in the ring, as he landed a solid straight forcing Jain into a standing eight count. Round two saw Kibbe land another wild flurry of punches. Jain tried to counter several times and was only able to do so with a low percentage. Once again, Kibbe used his reach to his advantage, giving his opponent difficulty to get inside and land many punches.A solid haymaker hook from Kibbe started the final round, and the sophomore began to work the body as well. Jain tried to land some body punches, but his inability to defend Kibbe’s combos cost him the fight. Kibbe finished the match with an excellent combo stemming from his jab.