Board of Trustees elects new chair

Richard Notebaert, a 10-year member of the University Board of Trustees, was elected to a three-year chair term Friday, becoming Notre Dame's sixth chairman.

"It has been a privilege to serve as a Trustee of Notre Dame for the past 10 years, and I am honored that the Trustees have elected me as their sixth chairman," Notebaert said in a statement Friday. "I look forward to joining with our president, Father John Jenkins, in advancing our position as the premier Catholic research university in the world."

Notebaert, 59, has been chairman and chief executive officer of Qwest Communications International Inc., a Denver-based broadband, data, voice and image communications company, since June 2002. He succeeds Patrick McCartan, who was chairman of the board for seven years.

Notebaert's term will begin on July 1.

"I am confident that under his leadership, the Board will continue to provide the leadership and support we need to make Notre Dame the premier Catholic research university in the world," University President Father John Jenkins wrote in an e-mail.

Notebaert has served as chair of the University Relations and Public Affairs and Communication Committee. Notebaert is also one of the University's 12 Fellows, who make up the "University's ultimate governing body." Fellows are charged with electing Trustees, adopting and amending bylaws and "maintaining Notre Dame's Catholic character," according to the statement.

Notebaert received his undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Wisconsin.

Notebaert is a member of the board of directors of Aon Corp., Cardinal Health Inc., the Denver Center for the Performing Arts and the Denver Art Museum, according to the statement. His professional activities include memberships in the Business Council and the International Advisory Council of the Executives' Club of Chicago," the statement said.

In April 2003, President George W. Bush appointed Notebaert as a member of the National Security Telecommunications Advisory Committee, which provides industry-based analysis on policy and technical issues, according to the Qwest Web site.

Notebaert and his wife, Peggy, have two daughters and five grandchildren.

The Board of Trustees was established 40 years ago "when governance was transferred from the Congregation of Holy Cross to a two-tiered, mixed board of lay and religious Trustees and Fellows," the statement said.

There are currently 53 active members and 35 Life Trustees on Notre Dame's Board of Trustees.