FOOTBALL: New personnel highlight Irish coaching staff

A month after naming Corwin Brown its new defensive coordinator, Notre Dame on Monday delineated Brown's position tasks and specified other staff changes.In a news release sent to media by e-mail, Irish coach Charlie Weis announced that Brown will lead outside linebackers in the team's new "3-4 personnel" defensive scheme. Current special teams coach Brian Polian will split his duties between his current position and the inside linebackers.With Polian splitting time between his two responsibilities, current tight ends coach Bernie Parmalee will serve as concurrent special teams coach.The Irish added a second intern this year - Kevin Loney - to focus on offense. The status of 2006 intern Jesse Minter, the son of Rick Minter, who was Brown's predecessor before Weis "went in a different direction" with the defense, was unknown Monday.With Ron Powlus promoted to quarterbacks coach, Notre Dame also changed the titles for its director of personnel development and its coordinator of personnel development. Tim McDonnell, who served in 2006 as coordinator of quality control, will become director of football personnel. Dave Peloquin, who was coordinator of football personnel development, will now be director of football development.Nick Mainieri, the son of former Irish baseball coach Paul Mainieri, will take McDonnell's position as coordinator of quality control. Notre Dame also hired Patrick Graham as its graduate assistant on defense. He replaces Jeff Burrow, whose two-year stint in the position ended after the 2006-07 season. Director of Football Media Relations Brian Hardin said Shane Waldron, the current offensive graduate assistant, might apply for a third year.