Bookstore Basketball: Second Round continues

Bookstore basketball returned to action Sunday afternoon with a full slate of games across campus. Amid the action, a group of Christian, Gwen Stefani-enthusiasts were able to soundly defeat a squad that would have made Jimmy Buffett proud all the way from Margaritaville. And some distant female relatives of Napoleon Dynamite toppled under its opponents dunking prowess.

Hallelujah Holla Back 21, Eatin' Cheeseburgers 4

A more athletic and experienced Hallelujah Holla Back team defeated Eatin' Cheeseburgers 21-4. Led by inside scoring and tough perimeter defense, Hallelujah took an 11-1 lead going into the half.

Hallelujah players Jon Brewis, Greg Naylor, Matt Verhamme, Mike Bednarczyk and Lindsay Ruhling provided more of the same in the second half for the Holla Backs, letting up only a few outside shots in the win.

"We had to pick up two of our players right before the game, but we responded well to the pressure," Brewis said. "They played well as a team and were great sports."

Hallelujah controlled the interior throughout the game, scoring most of their points off layups inside and forcing Cheeseburgers to play almost exclusively on the outside.

There's a 30 percent Chance We're Already Playing 21, Flippin' Awesome 9

Chance defeated Awesome 21-9 in an entertaining matchup on the Lyons courts Sunday.

Despite giving up a huge height advantage, Awesome, an all-girls squad, shot well enough from the outside to keep the contest reasonably close.

The athleticism of Chance was too much, however, as the team scored many times on fast breaks, including several dunks.

Awesome, made up of teams members Andrew Parnell, Warren Scott, Brian Sarnacki, Zander Stachniak, and Justine Stremick, took a 9-3 lead into the half.

While Awesome made six long jumpers in the second half, Chance continued to score off steals and on fast breaks for the win. Stremick, a member of the Irish volleyball team, was able to impose her will inside on girls with her height advantage.

"We owe it all to our coaches," Parnell said. "They were our keys, and we got lucky - those girls were flippin' awesome."