Bookstore Basketball: Strong play takes backseat to style

In a hard fought battle Tuesday at the Lyons basketball courts, Chorale emerged victorious in their first round match up with the formidable Team 432, 21-13.

At the beginning of the game, the ladies of Team 432 were able to control the tempo, hitting big shots when they needed to and keeping the score relatively close.

However, Thomas DeGregoris proved to be an unstoppable force and quickly took the game into his own hands, despite failing to convert on a "360-windmill dunk" early in the first half.

DeGregoris made his presence felt on the defensive end with two steals that lead to fast-break lay-ups, as well as a Greg Oden-esque block that almost brought down the house.

With a halftime score of 11-5, DeGregoris brought his team together and gave a halftime speech.

"We have to stop playing timidly," DeGregoris said. "We have to take it to the house a little more and stop making stupid fouls. We started looking good toward the end of the first half after a rough start, but we just have to understand that we're big boys, and we just have to slip and slide and take it to the house."

As the second half began, it was clear that his team was responding to the challenges he posed at the break.

Ben Mertz, playing center for Chorale, began to dominate in the post and proved to be too much of a physical specimen for Team 432 to handle.

In addition, Andrew "Blevins" Walker began to dominate the boards, while Jesse Goliath continuously knocked down open jumpers to maintain the lead.

In the end, the aggressiveness of Chorale proved to be the key.

Wilt Chamberlain's Illegitimate Children 21, Team 449, 8

After a strong defensive effort, Wilt Chamberlain's Illegitimate Children were able to triumph in their first-round matchup with Team 449.

The Illegitimate Children, led by team captain Brandon Faus (11 points), seized an early lead and never looked back, excelling at both ends of the court.

"It made for a great day despite an oncoming thunderstorm," Faus said. "It was run-and-gun, we were pretty much up the whole way. We just pushed it and had fun on these nasty courts."

After the game, though, Faus was humble and refused to take any individual credit for the victory.

"We played very well as a team," Faus said. "I give all the credit to "Bo" Badke and "Wild" Dean Fernandez."

The Illegitimate Children were able to contain Team 449's best player, Matt Belton (seven points and eight blocks), and the lack of a second scoring option hurt 449 when Belton struggled.

The Children were able to spread the ball around with relative ease. Mike Dowdall and last-second replacement Alvin Reynolds each contributed to the blowout with solid performances.

As the Illegitimate Children jumped out to a commanding 13-4 lead just after halftime, it was evident Team 449 lost confidence as they began to hang their heads with every missed shot.

With the dominating 21-8 victory, Wilt Chamberlain's Illegitimate Children will look to carry their momentum into the second round

You've Never Seen Ballin' Like This Before 21, Purple Rain 8

After an even start, You've Never Seen Ballin' Like This Before pulled away from Purple Rain for a 21-8 win.

Purple Rain, dressed like they had just stepped off a Prince and the Revolution tour, started the game with hot outside shooting and took a 4-2 lead. Ballin', dressed in NBA jerseys, quickly responded to tie the game at four.

Ballin' then went on a 7-0 run to take an 11-4 lead at halftime.

While his team struggled in the second half, Purple Rain coach Hank Jenkins remained positive.

"We're trying to stay purple out here and make it rain," Jenkins said.

Led by Brett Berceau's mid-range shooting, Ballin' closed out the game on a 10-4 run for the win. Ballin' consisted of team members Anthony Bencivenga, Jim Murphy, Jeremiah Herman, Brett Berceau and Pat Cassidy.

Ballin' coach Andy Pauwels was not satisfied with his team's performance, however. "My summary of the game is this - what are we thinking?" Pauwels said. "If they want to win next round they better get their heads in the game."

Random Engineers With No Particular Talent 21, You Think We're Bad But You Have No Idea 5

The Random Engineers With No Particular Talent had enough ability to take a 21-5 win over You Think You're Bad But You Have No Idea.

Applying full court defensive pressure, team members Marie Sydlik, Tyler Emptage, Adam Cunningham, Patrick Kosciuk and Marcin Morys were able to collect easy baskets underneath against a much shorter No Idea team.

No Idea, a team of senior girls with a self-described lack of talent at the game of basketball and an overwhelmed captain in Kate Gales, made a strong effort in the loss and were very happy with the performance.

"It was very fun - what Bookstore Basketball is all about," Gales said. "We're all proud to be part of this great tradition."

No Talent showed great sportsmanship in the last minutes of the game. Ahead 20-1, the team allowed four No Idea team members to score in their final Bookstore Basketball game.

This season was a drastic improvement for No Idea, since the team was shut out 21-0 in its first-round game last year.