Isban notches top-20 finish

At the Boilermaker Invitational Saturday and Sunday, the Irish defeated two opponents that were ahead of them in the Golfweek rankings prior to the weekend matches.

Notre Dame senior co-captain Cole Isban's eighth top-20 finish of the season helped the team finish in a tie for eighth place in the 15-team field. The finish gave the No. 57 Irish key victories over No. 31 Baylor and No. 34 Washington.

The Irish missed a top-five finish by only two strokes. Indiana and Ohio State tied for sixth one stroke ahead of Notre Dame, and Michigan took the fifth spot with a score of 608. Michigan State was the overall winner, finishing with a 593.

Isban led the way for Notre Dame with a six-over par 150, putting him in 15th place for the tournament.

Sophomore Josh Sandman, meanwhile, finished in a tie for 24th place with an eight-over par 152. Including the fall season, Sandman has now placed in the top 25 at seven of 10 Irish tournaments this academic year.

Junior Greg Rodgers, who was playing in his first tournament of the spring, shot a final-round 72 and finished in a tie for 36th place with a 10-over par 154. The score was Rodgers' lowest final of the year so far.

Senior co-captain Adam Gifford and freshman Doug Fortner rounded out the field for the Irish, carding respective overall scores of 11-over par 155 and 15-over par 159.

Next up for the Irish is the Kepler Intercollegiate, which is hosted by Ohio State at the Scarlet Golf Course in Columbus, Ohio, this Saturday and Sunday.