ND Softball: ND heads to Chicago for DePaul showdown

Due to frigid temperatures and icy rain, Wednesday's game against Valparaiso was postponed to April 12th at 5 p.m. If weather permits today, the Irish will face No. 23 DePaul in Chicago for two Big East conference games at 3 and 5 p.m. These two contests represent important games for Notre Dame because the Irish and Blue Demons are locked in a tie for first place at 8-0 in conference play. Overall, the DePaul boasts a better record with a 24-7 mark, while the Irish are currently 19-12.Notre Dame will have to post one of its best offensive performances of the season to get the win, as it faces DePaul senior pitcher Tracie Adix, who this past week won her third Big East pitcher of the week honor of the season. The Blue Demons are led offensively by junior Sandy Vojik, who has a team-high 17 RBIs on the season. Right behind her is a fellow junior Marcy Wilus, who has batted in 16 runners this year. Sophomore Amber Patton has scored many of those runs, boasting a .354 average from the leadoff spot. The Irish are on a 10-game winning streak and have earned some Big East recognition themselves. Senior Stephanie Brown earned her first ever Big East player of the week Monday with a .722 batting average (13-for-18), two doubles, a triple, four RBIs and five runs scored. Brown was also named Louisville Slugger/NFCA player of the week Wednesday. Brown is currently atop the Big East standings for batting average (.477) and on-base percentage (.531). Her frequent trips around the bases have given the power hitters in the lineup a chance to gain RBIs; Brown leads the Big East in runs scored with 24. With her strong pitching during the streak, sophomore Brittney Bargar earned an honorable mention in the Big East Wednesday after going 3-0 with two complete games, a shutout and 21 strikeouts in 20 innings pitched. Irish senior Kenya Fuemmeler will also take the mound, riding a series of strong performances herself. She has a 7-5 record with a 2.60 ERA, seven complete games and 57 strikeouts.