Group looks at funding

Discussion among Board of Governance (BOG) members Monday night on Saint Mary's campus focused on co-sponsorship - the requests for funding from clubs or societies on campus.

Chrissy Romo, co-president of La Fuerza, spoke about the group's hope to bring the salsa band Orquesta Caribe to Saint Mary's on Sept. 27.

The event would be held in recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month, which runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. The group aims to bring awareness of Latina culture to campus.

"I believe it will try to diversify but also educate the student body," Romo said.

Students from Notre Dame and Holy Cross would also be invited to attend.

The second proposal for funding was for a trip to El Salvador for the organization Christians for Peace in El Salvador.

The proposal was presented by Kimmy Case and Colette Zavala, representatives of a group of nine Saint Mary's students and two faculty members who hope to make the trip during fall break.

"We would focus on the politics of El Salvador, and meet with politicians, church leaders and social activists while there," Case said.

The trip is part of the social work program at Saint Mary's. Upon their return, the students would present their findings at the spring social work luncheon.

In other BOG news:

u The BOG will hold forums every other week in the dining hall under the theme "Food for Thought." Student body president Kim Hodges spoke about the purpose of the group.

"[The forum] creates a venue for the student body to address questions or concerns they may have in order for our students to discuss the hot topics around campus," she said.

This week's forum will be held Thursday, from 5 to 7 p.m., and will focus on "Booze, Bands and Boys."

u Campaigning for the first-year board will begin Tuesday, elections commissioner Maggie Siefert said. Six groups are campaigning, and the vote will be held Sept. 17.

u A five-kilometer walk for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer will be held on Oct. 6, health and wellness commissioner Penelope Trethewey said. Saint Mary's is sponsoring a team called the Belle Brigade.

u A heritage display in the Student Center will feature a display in honor of Father Basil Moreau, Campus Ministry commissioner Mary Frantz said. Exact dates for the grand opening have not been set, but fliers will be posted around campus.