ND Women's Golf: Perfection continues for team

As Notre Dame coach Susan Holt was traveling back to campus with her team from their second straight victory Tuesday, her golfers told her the main reason behind the unit's success.

"Good chemistry," they shouted to her as she fielded questions about the team's promising start.

Notre Dame is a perfect two-for-two this season. A week after their triumph in the Cougar Classic, the Irish took the Napa River Grill Cardinal Cup in Simpsonville, Ky.

The Irish edged out host team Louisville by three strokes with a 878 (292-290-296) mark over three rounds. The Cardinals finished the tournament second at 881 (295-295-291). Augusta State took third with an 890 (289-303-298). Georgia State was fourth at 896 (303-291-302), and Middle Tennessee State rounded out the top five, shooting a 912 (302-300-310) on the tournament.

"There is a little bit of luck involved in golf," Holt said. "I think they're getting committed to the game plan and executing it."

The Irish charge was led by a freshman competing in her second collegiate tournament. So-Hyun Park claimed medalist honors with her three-under-par 213 (70-71-72).

Junior Lisa Maunu was the second best golfer for the Irish with her five-over-par 221. After placing first in the Cougar Classic, the co-captain notched her second top-10 finish after she placed in a three-way tie for sixth. It marked the second time in program history that Irish golfers have won back-to-back events.

Sophomore Kristin Wetzel had a career-best three-round tournament at the Cardinal Club with a 223 (75-71-77) to land her in a tie for 13th place.

Fellow sophomore Annie Brophy finished the tournament in a tie for No. 21 with a 226 (77-73-76). Her freshman teammate, Katie Conway, shared a spot with her at 21st with a 226 (78-75-73).

Holt acknowledged that the play of the underclassmen was a large part of the success during the first two victories.

"The upperclassmen were thrilled with the freshmen today," Holt said. "It was nice to see our younger golfers contribute and help us on to victory."

Notre Dame will look to start a season three-for-three for the first time when it tees off at the Wolverine Invitational on Sept. 29 and 30 at the University of Michigan Golf Course.

Despite the team's early success, Holt said, the golfers are not worried about any other teams and focusing on themselves.

"We're not concerned of what other people think about our program," Holt said. "We're just out there playing golf. We're not playing for anyone else. We're playing for Notre Dame, and each other."