SMC Volleyball: Belles take on Olivet in home opener

After nine games, Saint Mary's is finally coming home.

The Belles host Olivet tonight at 7 in the Angela Athletic Center for their first home game of the season.

Coming off a busy weekend that included two wins and two losses, the Belles are looking to improve their record in the conference.

Saint Mary's is currently in last place in the MIAA, with an 0-2 record in the league and a 3-6 overall mark.

Coach Julie Schroeder-Biek said there is a great deal the Belles will need to work on against the Comets. The coach will shuffle her lineup to better take advantage of Olivet's weaknesses.

"I moved [junior] Kaela Hellmann to the outside attacking position from the middle and [freshman] Jacee Watson from the outside to the right side," Schroeder-Biek said.

Schroeder-Biek has put much responsibility on her freshmen this year, especially Watson.

"Watson is such a strong blocker and the right-side gets good blocking action on the opponents strong attacker," Schroeder-Biek said.

Hellmann has been a strong defensive threat, posting her first double-double of the season against Geneva College, in last weekend's Hiram Tournament.

"Kaela's floor defense is so solid moving her to the left-side will allow her to really play more floor defense as opposed to the middle blocking position, where her defense is always on the net," Schroeder-Biek said.

She said she hopes her team will gel quickly with the two players in different places on the floor.

"We need to adjust to our new positions, but more than anything play to win as a team," she said.