Men's Interhall: Fisher falls to Siegfried, Zahm shuts out Sorin

The tide turned on the undefeated Green Wave Wednesday when Siegfried defeated Fisher 26-6.

The Ramblers used their running game to great effect and took advantage of four Fisher turnovers.

On the Ramblers' first possession of the second quarter, Siegfried freshman quarterback Mike Garcia put his team near the goal line with a 53-yard pass and scored two plays later with a quarterback sneak on second-and-inches.

Now leading 6-0, the Ramblers quickly ended Fisher's next two possessions with turnovers. Siegfried returned the second one, a fumble, for a touchdown.

"They won the turnover game tonight," Green Wave coach John Donovan said. "Whoever gets the turnovers is going to do well."

But the turnover game was not over. On Fisher's first possession, junior Tom Owens intercepted Green Wave junior quarterback Kevin Rabil's pass.

On the ensuing Siegfried possession, junior Marcus Young ran the ball five times for 41 yards and a touchdown, putting the Ramblers up 20-0.

"We did a good job running the ball tonight," Young said. "The turnovers put us in good position."

But the Ramblers still weren't done. On second-and-11, Rabil's pass was tipped into the arms of Siegfried junior Patrick McMaster for Rabil's third interception of the night. This turnover led to another touchdown, a 26-yard pass to sophomore Xavier Burton, a punter making his first offensive start of the season.

The win put the Ramblers at 3-0-1 for the season, giving them excellent position heading into the playoffs.

Fisher was able to score a touchdown late in the fourth quarter as senior Pat Gotebeski caught three passes for 35 yards, but it was too little, too late for the calmed Green Wave.

Zahm 8, Sorin 0

After being stifled all day, Theo Ossei-Anto finally broke loose.

Zahm's junior running back broke a 60-yard run in the final two minutes to set up Zahm's only touchdown in an 8-0 win over Sorin Wednesday.

"We had lots of momentum coming out in the second half," Zahm coach TJ Stouder said. "We were playing for pride on both sides of the ball."

The Rabid Bats (2-1-1) kept their season alive in a defensive battle.

The turning point came when Zahm made a defensive stand in the last five minutes. On the next play, Ossei-Anto's run gave it the field position it needed.

Following Ossei-Anto's run, the Rabid Bats were still 35 yards from the end zone, but came 30 yards closer when freshman Xavier Murphy caught a pass that put Zahm at first and goal on the 5-yard line.

On the next play, sophomore running back Brody Kane ran for the touchdown and provided all of the offense required. Kane had just switched to playing running back and started practicing halfway through the week.

Murphy converted the two-point attempt on an end-around.

Sorin's attempts to tie the game ended when Zahm forced a fumble, sealing the victory.

"We have lots of momentum after this game. We are real confident in our chances in the playoffs," Stouder said. "There are a lot of strong teams out there, and we hope to show that we can be one of those teams."