ND Men's Golf: Irish tied for sixth after two rounds

Notre Dame's fall season has been filled with ups and downs, and the roller coaster ride continued Monday at the UNCG Bridgestone Collegiate Championship in Greensboro, N.C.

Playing at Forest Oaks Country Club, Notre Dame looked to be in contention after a first round of four-over (292). Beginning the second round tied for first with College of Charleston, the Irish fell back five places with a 295 late Monday afternoon, tying them with No. 23 Central Florida.

North Carolina stands in first place after 36 holes, leading Kent State and Louisville by a single stroke. The Tar Heels lead the Irish by seven shots with a team score of four-over.

Leading Notre Dame was junior Josh Sandman, a Greensboro native, who finished the day tied for second. Irish coach Jim Kubinski said he had anticipated a good performance from Sandman in his homecoming.

"We were excited to see what Josh could do on his home course," Kubinski said.

Sandman shot an opening round of 68 to tie for first at four-under. After cooling off with an even-par second round, Sandman trails Louisville's Derek Fathauer by two strokes.

Sandman has been the first-half leader of the Irish, firing rounds 73 or below in 10 of his first 12 starts this fall. The junior's 68 was the low round for the Irish so far this season.

Senior captain Greg Rodgers and sophomore Doug Fortner tied for second out of Irish players with totals of four-over. The pair of Notre Dame starters sits in a tie for 29th overall.

Sophomore Kyle Willis is tied for 49th after rounds of 75 and 76. Willis's four-over second round was punctuated by an early triple bogey on the par-4 third hole.

Kubinski said the difference in the two rounds was getting enough good scores to keep the Irish on top.

"Our goal was to post four good scores each round, that's always the key," Kubinski said.

An overnight frost advisory in Greensboro will push up Tuesday's tee times for the third and final round, with the Irish now set to go off at 9:30.