Q & A with "Savage" actress

"Savage in Limbo," directed by Siiri Scott, is playing this week at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center. The cast is made up of five actors, three girls and two boys. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to sit down with one of two freshmen in the cast: Margie Janiczek, who plays April White, a woman on the brink of insanity.

"Savage in Limbo" is a very strange title. What does it mean?

"The main character is named Savage. She's a woman who hasn't centered on anything. She has followed no passions to fruition and hasn't tried enough to connect with people. She doesn't think she has that ability. She is in limbo. By the end of the play, the other characters find partners to help them through life, but not Savage."

Your character, April White, is quite different. How do you think she got to be how she is when we meet her?

"She's a wilted flower. At one point she had beautiful ideas about life. She wanted to help people and better the world. She's been tarnished by the world. By the time of the play, she's beyond the point of return. She can only hold on to the weak level of sanity she has. It's almost as if she's a flower sitting in alcohol, being preserved."

That's fitting, then that the play takes place in a bar.

"The set parallels the characters on many levels. It's on a rake, which means the stage is slanted. This gives the illusion of characters almost sliding off. That's the state they're in. The walls are war-torn."

The cast is very small. What has that been like?

"We were able to get a lot of attention to detail. The director was able to finesse every line. We achieved great group mind. The director had us do a lot of physical exercises to become comfortable with one another."

What is it like to be one of two freshmen working on the show?

"I've learned a lot. It's been a great way to get introduced to the program. It's good to get involved this early."

It sounds like it's been a great experience.

"I've learned a lot about acting and methods of preparing lines. I love the facility. Having a dressing room is really cool. It's neat to see the collaboration of minds. The director and the set designer and the lighting and costumes all come together in an amazing way. And I love Jenna Moran, the stage manager."

"Savage in Limbo" plays through the end of this week. Tickets are available through the DPAC ticket office and online.