SMC Soccer: Belles score season-high eight goals

Belles' sophomore midfielder Katy Durkin and junior forward Lauren Hinton both scored hat tricks to lead the Belles to an 8-2 win Tuesday over Tri-State.

Saint Mary's highest-scoring game of its season raised its overall record to 7-3-4 and 3-2-2 in the MIAA, as the Thunder drop to 0-12-2 overall and 0-5 MIAA.

The Tri-State defense couldn't stop the Belles from scoring. Durkin started the game off strong for the Belles when she scored off an assist from Bridget Ronayne less than 10 minutes into play. Six minutes later she passed the ball to freshman midfielder Julia Gragtmans for the 2-0 lead. Durkin continued pushing the Tri-State defense as she scored again 18 minutes into play.

The Thunder came back when senior forward Jackie Havenaar scored her sixth goal of the season off a penalty kick in the 29th minute to cut the game to 3-1. Much to Tri-State's dismay, Saint Mary's leading scorer Lauren Hinton scored in the 35th minute off an assist by junior midfielder Mandy Thompson, raising the Belles' lead to 4-1. Less than a minute later, Thunder forward Amy Ramiller scored off an assist by Havenaar, making it 4-2 Belles with 10 minutes to go in the half.

Two minutes into the second half Katy Durkin completed her hat trick with a goal assisted by Sarah DuBree. Hinton completed her hat trick with goals in the 62nd and 63rd minutes off passes from Katie Werhli and Julia Gragtmans. The Belles weren't finished scoring though. Freshman Lauren Eaton scored the eighth goal for Saint Mary's in the 85th minute, her first of the season.

Not only did the Belles post a season high of eight goals in a game, they had posted 49 shots, 29 of which were on net.

The Belles are back in action this Saturday at Illinois Wesleyan at 4:30 p.m.