Victory prompts celebrations

Saturday had a different feel on campus after Notre Dame beat UCLA, winning its first game of the 2007 season and ending the longest losing streak in Notre Dame football history.

As the game ended, hundreds of students poured outside to celebrate the victory.

"I sprinted to Stonehenge," sophomore Caitlin Shannon said, "and the rest of campus seemed to be doing the same thing."

Students swarmed into and around the Clarke Memorial Fountain - known informally as Stonehenge - to commemorate the win. A Facebook group entitled "I swam in Stonehenge: 10-06-07" boasts nearly 400 members.

Once at Stonehenge, students crowded together to cheer "We are ND" and "Here come the Irish." Students sang the Victory March and Alma Mater. Mostly, however, students screamed and shouted.

"We were letting out all this pent-up excitement that people had been saving for when we finally won a game," freshman Shannon Kiernan said.

"I mean, not only did we win a game, but we beat a ranked team, which shows that we can definitely contend with the big guys," junior Jack Thornton said.

After crowding into Stonehenge, students ran to the reflection pool in front of Hesburgh Library to further celebrate.

"It was so cool because the whole community came together," freshman Ginny Varraveto said. "Even if you were standing by someone you didn't know, cheering together really made you feel together."