Women's Interhall Blue League: Winless squads face off

McGlinn vs. Pasquerilla East

McGlinn and Pasquerilla East want to prove different things to the rest of the Blue League but approach tonight's game with equal intensity.

Despite putting together a promising drive near the end of last week's game against Cavanaugh, the Shamrocks didn't have enough time to score and left with a heartbreaking 6-0 loss to the Chaos. Tonight, winless McGlinn hopes to enjoy what will likely be its final game.

"We have had a lot of fun this year despite all of our losses," senior captain Taryn Lewis said.

The Shamrocks hope an improved passing game will finally earn them a win and build some momentum for next year.

The offense is led by junior quarterback Sarah de Groot and sophomore running back Tina Noronha.

It has been a tough year for the Shamrocks, but they believe their freshmen-laden team has a bright future.

"We hope that the freshmen make a good core for next year," Lewis said.

Still, as a senior, "I would like to go out with a win," she said.

On the other side of the field, the Pyros come into the game 0-3-1 with losses to Walsh, Farley and Cavanaugh, as well as a tie with Howard.

Leading the Pyro offense is talented freshman quarterback Caitlin Lynch. Lynch hopes to find openings in the Shamrock defense and connect with senior captain and wide receiver Caroline Nally.

It is possible for both these teams to sneak back into playoff contention with a win tonight and a loss from Howard.

But it does neither team any good to be scoreboard watching, however, unless it can win. With both teams hungry for a chance for playoff contention, the matchup is sure to go down to the wire.

McGlinn and Pasquerilla East meet tonight at 7 on Riehle Field.

Cavanaugh vs. Howard

Cavanaugh takes on Howard tonight in a game with great impact on post-season play.

As the playoffs near, the Chaos (2-2) hope to seal the second-place slot in the Blue Division. A Ducks victory would keep Howard in playoff contention, but a loss would be fatal.

Cavanaugh's two losses were both decided by point-after conversions; the Chaos fell 7-6 to both Walsh and Farley. The Chaos made their first conversion of the season Sunday against PE and went on to defeat the Pyros 13-7.

"Sometimes when the pressure is on we get a little flustered," senior captain Tarah Brown said. "When we get close to the end zone or need a good play, we don't always come through."

The Chaos are preparing for Howard by perfecting their ability to both make and stop extra-point plays. With the leadership of junior quarterback Katie Dunn on offense and senior Liz Brown on defense, Cavanaugh looks to acquire its third win with a team effort from every player.

The Ducks (1-2-1) have also fallen victim to close games. Like Cavanaugh, they lost to undefeated Walsh by only two extra point conversions.

"We have no seniors on our team this year," sophomore captain Mary Jenkins said. "We're kind of young and inexperienced, so we sometimes have a hard time taking advantage of opportunities like extra points."

Despite their age, Howard's young players are filling leadership roles well. Freshman Kayla Bishop leads the offense at quarterback, and sophomore Emily Stewart averages one interception per game for the Ducks.

Jenkins said the Howard offense has great chemistry and works well together. It will be interesting to see how it performs against a tough Cavanaugh defense.

Despite their even record, the Chaos have outscored their opponents by 10 points and have only allowed 21 points all season.

The teams will match up tonight at 9 on Riehle Field.

Farley vs. Walsh

Undefeated Walsh looks to extend its winning streak to five while Farley hopes to improve its 2-1-1 record when the teams meet tonight.

Walsh has been a terrifying squad on both sides of the ball, shutting down teams on defense while stringing together masterful drives on offense. Farley has proven to be formidable as well, however, with a strong defense that shut out Pasquerilla East earlier this year.

The Walsh squad will throw quite a few different weapons at Farley's defense. Senior quarterback Mary Sullivan is a threat both in the air and on the ground, and the solid receiving corps of senior captain Marie Brenner and sophomore receiver Sierra Smith has given defenses trouble all year.

On the defensive side of the ball, led by senior Julie Campbell, the Wild Women have been successful in putting pressure on the quarterback, causing turnovers and not allowing any team to settle into a rhythm on offense.

"The defense as whole unit has been working so well together," Brenner said. "This is the best team I've seen in my four years here."

The Farley squad will look for help from junior captain and wide receiver Jenny Rolfs to overcome the swarming Walsh defense. She has been an integral part of the Finest offense, pulling in plenty of clutch catches.

On defense, shutdown sophomore cornerback Caitlin Shepherd hopes to bring her best game to try and contain the receivers of the Wild Women.

Tonight's game will likely prove difficult for the Finest, as Walsh may have too many weapons for the Farley squad. The Wild Women offense will be looking to put on another offensive clinic tonight at 8 on Riehle Field.