Comic shocks sensibilities

I recently read Liz Froehlke's Viewpoint letter regarding yet another comic strip poking fun at poor Saint Mary's College. I was also appalled when I read Monday's comic strip poking fun at our sister school. This instigated several of my friends to make SMC jokes, like referring to the trolley that runs from main circle to SMC as the 'sluttle.' I reminded them that SMC is full of very respectable women that certainly do not live up to the stereotypes of being sexually promiscuous or complaining about every SMC joke in The Observer.

I am sure that Ms. Froehlke was enraged as well, seeing as though she took the time to write a response to a comic mocking SMC midterms in the beginning of SMC midterms week. It is very prestigious to attend a school that is ranked first in its category (the top Roman Catholic, all-women, liberal arts college located in Notre Dame, Indiana according to US News and World Report).

Froehlke labels ND students as "arrogant bullies," and I reluctantly agree that I am surrounded by 8,000 of the rudest people on the planet. Notre Dame has such disrespect for SMC, with the exception of allowing them to attend our football games, join some of our clubs, come at here on the weekends, participate in ND/SMC co-op programs, and write in our newspaper.

Every student at SMC needs to write to The Observer demanding the removal of the comic strip and the expulsion of its authors. This will ultimately prove that the Belles are not all uptight and unable to see the irony in their own arguments. This is a national crisis. After all, everyone knows that student-run newspapers set the moral standards for the rest of the country.

Kevin Kray

freshman

Carroll Hall

Feb. 27