Get the help you need

My name is Tara Gilbride, and I would like to share a secret with you in recognition of National Eating Disorder Awareness Week.

I have an eating disorder.

Now I would like to share another secret: I am not alone. An estimated 25 percent of college-aged women are affected by some form of disordered eating. This means that here at Notre Dame, approximately 1,000 women are affected. The problem with this statistic is these women are not getting help. And eating disorders carry a stigma.

Despite being a disease, people operate under the assumption that eating disorders are not serious problems and believe that they can overcome an eating disorder without the help of a doctor or counselor. No one should have to go through the pain of an eating disorder alone.

Notre Dame has an amazing group of professional counselors, doctors and nutritionists who are fully equipped to help people deal with eating disorders. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help in treating an eating disorder, but I promise it could change your life or the life of someone you know and love.

In honor of National Eating Disorder Awareness week, I am asking you to seek help if you are one of the many women or men on this campus suffering from this disease. I sought help, and it may have saved my life. It could do the same for you.

Tara Gilbride

sophomore

Lewis Hall

Feb. 25