Men's Lacrosse:Undefeated team to host Nittany Lions

Even though Notre Dame is 1-0 heading into Sunday's game against Penn State, Irish coach Kevin Corrigan isn't worried about his team's record.

"Obviously there's only two possible situations at the start of the season," Corrigan said Thursday. "You're either 1-0 or 0-1 and 1-0 beats the hell out of 0-1. The ranking and all that stuff [are] meaningless at this point. It's February, for goodness sakes. We're just worried about how we're playing and what we're doing."

Notre Dame opened the season with a 7-6 win against No. 17 Loyola, Md., Saturday and is ranked as high as No. 5 in some national polls.

The Irish showed some balance in the win over Loyola - a different player scored each of the seven goals. Senior attack Alex Wharton, junior attack Duncan Swezey, sophomore attacks Colin Igoe and Matt Ciambella, and junior midfielder Dan Gibson each had an assist in the win.

"We need to do a little bit of everything well," Corrigan said. "Penn State is a very good team. They're very athletic and very experienced. I think a lot of things are going to be a factor in this game. We need to clear the ball well and counteract their athleticism. There are a lot of challenges in a game like this.

"These are two teams that like to play like to get up and down the field," he added. "It should be a fun game to watch and fun game to play."

The game begins at 1 p.m., in the Loftus Center.