University hosts Winter Career Fair

Approximately 1,800 students hoping to secure a job or internship attended the Winter Career and Internship Fair Wednesday night at the Joyce Center.

Unlike its fall counterpart, which was geared toward pre-professional students, the Winter Career Fair largely focused on companies that would be attractive to Arts and Letters majors. "Arts and Letters is what this fair was about," said Anita Rees, the Career Center's Associate Director.  

Many Arts and Letters students were pleased by the wide array of job options available at the fair, which was attended by 165 different employers.

"I think there are enough offerings for Arts and Letters.  If you're confident, you can sell yourself for any job," said senior Corey Mehlos, who is currently enrolled in the program of liberal studies.

"Although he would have liked to see a few more law firms, Mehlos said he was very excited to see U.S. Department of Justice booth.  "That would be a wonderful opportunity to serve," he said.  

Several company representatives said they appreciated the variety of skills Arts and Letter majors have. Ernest Adams, a senior recruiter for Abercrombie and Fitch, said the company considers all majors for entry-level positions.  

"We're looking for applicants with sharp, strong communications skills," he said. "We want passion."

Command Production Manager for the Office of Naval Intelligence Joe Thompson said the federal government will make 194,000 hires in a wide range of positions over the next two years, offering opportunities for every major.  

"It's a very strong market," he said.  

Thompson emphasized that making a positive impression with a striking application can really distinguish a candidate.

"The more you can illuminate who you are, through your cover letter and resume and interview, the better," he said.  

Thompson said the applicant's degree was only "the tip of the iceberg.  What you're trying to hire for is the whole person."  

But some students were still dissatisfied. English major Andrea D'Souza, who is originally from India, said she was concerned the Career Center did not provide enough job opportunities for international students in Arts and Letters.

"All of my experiences with the Career Center have been really good," she said.  "But it worries me that I have only year left on my visa and most companies in Arts and Letters won't sponsor you. I'm really stressing now," she said.  

D'Souza said the Career Center is "very friendly," but offered a few suggestions for improvement.

"Holding a workshop for international students that aren't business or engineers would help," she said. "I'd hate to think that the only other option is graduate school."