A realistic view of sexuality

This letter is in response to Brother Bill Mewes' letter ("Real issues," Mar. 11) in which several points made personally disturbed me.

The first was his offer of congratulations to Greg Yatarola, the 30-something year old alumnus who consistently writes serious yet inane letters to The Observer. I feel safe in saying that Greg should not be lauded for his writings, as being an older man he a) should have something better to do with his time than write to his alma mater's newspaper, and b) he is too out of touch with the college-student mentality to be taken seriously.

Second: Brother Mewes demonizes students' desires to be free of classes on the weekends by blindly stating we all want to get drunk and have sex. I live in a quad with three young, hormone-driven males, and I feel confident in saying that all we are interested in (any time of the week) is sex - if by sex you mean Zelda, Super Smash Bros, and guitar. And one of my roommates has a girlfriend.

Third: He states that this semester is the first in five years where an article has been written to counter the wanton sexual content in today's society. However, last year I wrote a letter decrying the prevalence of porn in the media ("Disrespectful mentality needs to go," Oct. 17, 2007).

Fourth: When a college student asked him how to be chaste and pure, Brother Mewes writes a suggestion to observe heartily the sacraments of Reconciliation, Eucharist, and prayer.

Although these are all praiseworthy acts, these suggestions just show how out of touch he is with college-age students. I suggest a more practical way to keep guys out of girls' pants, and though it may keep you chaste, it sure won't keep you pure.

Ryan Slaney

sophomore

Carroll Hall

Mar. 12