Men's Track: Irish compete in Alex Wilson Invitational

Notre Dame spent part of its spring break competing at the Alex Wilson Invitational at the Loftus Center and preparing for the upcoming national meet.

On the first day of competition, the Irish got strong performances from senior Kurt Benninger, who ran a 3:58 mile and helped the Irish distance medley relay earn the No. 11 seed for the NCAA National Indoor Championship. Other members of the relay squad included senior Adam Currie, sophomore Blake Choplin and freshman Austin Wechter.    

For field events, freshman Justin Schneider placed ninth in the long jump while freshman Greg Davis led the Irish in the weight throw with 16.8 meters and a third-place finish. Freshmen Denes Verez and John Belcher followed close behind with 14.65-meter and 13.60-meter throws, respectively.

The second day held the same intensity as senior Jake Watson won the mile run with a time of 4:00, winning by almost three seconds. Other runners in the race included Irish juniors Daniel Clark and Patrick Smyth, who finished ninth and tenth, respectively.

Schneider jumped 1.94 meters for a seventh-place finish in the high jump.

The Irish now face their final indoor meet at the NCAA Championships before heading outside for what is expected to be an exciting outdoor season. The National Championships are March 14-15 at Arkansas.