SMC holds 8th annual Midnight Madness

Saint Mary's will celebrate its eighth-annual Midnight Madness tonight, where students compete for prizes and celebrate school spirit in the Angela Athletic Facility.

The event brings together all four classes with an evening of friendly athletic competition. Students vie for prizes through tug-of-war, sports relays, foul shots and other contests.

Renowned hypnotist Tom DeLuca, who performs for colleges and corporations across the nation, will also be performing before the athletic contests.

Saint Mary's Athletic Director Lynn Kachmarik emphasized the event's significance in bringing the College community together.

"Midnight Madness is the only real opportunity for the classes to come together and compete," Kachmarik said.

According to Kachmarik, nearly 1,000 students attend Midnight Madness each year, making it one of the most popular events on campus.

This year's theme, "Madness through the Years," designates a decade for each class to represent through clothing and music. The senior class will portray the 50s, juniors the 20s, sophomores the 70s, and freshman the 80s.

Midnight Madness committee chair senior Noreen Sherred said the evening is a celebration of student achievements.

"It is an event designed to award women for all their hard work and community efforts this year," Sherred said.

Freshman class president Emma Hoffman said the event provides an opportunity for the entire student body to come together.

"I am looking forward to building school spirit," she said.

According to Kachmarik, a number of Saint Mary's academic departments have been involved in the event's planning. In addition, the Saint Mary's Bookstore has donated prizes including iPods, gift cards, DVDs and athletic gear.

Kachmarik said she hopes the event becomes permanently integrated into Saint Mary's culture.

"I am excited about a tradition long after I am gone," she said. "I hope when you think of Saint Mary's, you think of Midnight Madness."