SMC Softball; Strong pitching performances highlight road trip

Saint Mary's posted an 8-2 record on its spring break trip to Florida. On the first day of play, the Belles split their two games. The first, a 10-0 win over Clark University, was highlighted by the performances of junior pitcher Calli Davison, who gave up three hits over five shutout innings, sophomore outfielder Ashley Peterson who went 3-for-3 with three runs scored, and freshman outfielder Hayley Bojorquez. Bojorquez had a single and a double while driving in two runs in her first college game. In the second game of the day, a 14-12 loss against Anna Maria College, Davison and junior Ashley Fusaro had four RBIs each.The Belles split again on day two, beginning with an 8-0 win over Worchester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) followed by a 5-3 loss to Dominican University. Against WPI, Davison won her second game with six shutout innings and senior McKenna Corrigan went 2-for-3 with 3 RBI. The Belles swept their competitors on the third day of the trip, winning 6-0 over Wisconsin Lutheran and 5-4 over St. Joseph College. Davison notched another win with seven shutout innings against Wisconsin Lutheran, and Corrigan got the win against St. Joseph's. The fourth day of competition was another Belles sweep as they defeated Eastern University 7-1 and bested DeSales University 4-2. Pitching was once again an important factor against Eastern, as Davison improved her record to 4-2. In the second game, the offense was the key as Peterson drove in three runs and sophomore Maureen Healy went 3-for-4. On the last day of their trip, the Belles put together another two-game sweep by once again beating WPI, 10-2, and getting revenge on Dominican with an 11-2 effort. Healy and Peterson had big games again, both going 3-for-4 against WPI. Davison won her fifth game of the trip and struck out seven. The Belles will begin their home season on Thursday against Manchester College.