SMC Tennis: Belles look to bounce back in home opener

Saint Mary's (4-5, 0-1 MIAA) continues conference play Wednesday when it hosts Calvin in its home opener at Notre Dame's Eck Tennis Center at 5 p.m.

"I am really excited to see what we can do against Calvin tomorrow," sophomore captain Camille Gebert said. "Calvin will be a team very much like us - young and of similar talent level - so it will be a good chance to see how well we can perform."

Gebert and freshmen Jillian Hurley, the Belles No. 1 doubles team that beat Albion in their last action, aren't the only Saint Mary's doubles who have been improving since the Belles came back from spring break. The duos of sophomore Lisa Rubino and freshman Betsy Reed and freshmen Jessica Kosinski and Jessica Camp have all progressed recently.

"I am excited that our doubles are doing better," Gebert said. "In order to win tomorrow we are going to need to win at least two or the three doubles matches, hopefully three. If we start off strong, our singles will finish the win off."

No. 1 and No. 2 singles players Gebert and Hurley currently sit at 4-5 and 7-1, respectively, on the season. Reed and Kosinski have also been strong in singles for the Belles.

"Our entire team has really been doing well," Gebert said. "Each player has stepped it up when need be, including the players not currently in the lineup. Tomorrow will be a good test for our team.  If we can pull the win our, which I have faith that we will, we will be in good shape for the rest of the conference season."