Alcohol personal choice

It is 2:07 AM Sunday morning, and parietals just struck Siegfried Hall. I just had a great time hanging out with my friends tonight, and yes, alcohol was involved. The young men of my section enjoyed the Final Four games tonight with the help of our faithful friends from Milwaukee. Hearty laughs were aplenty, and beer was certainly a part of enjoying our time together. What possesses some to knock on such an enjoyable beverage?

The Observer recently received a letter ranting on the immorality of intoxication and those who choose to consume alcohol ("Rethinking alcohol consumption, April 4). The letter cited Catholic morality and the virtue of responsibility as the reasons for alcohol's sinfulness. We as a Notre Dame community must question this questioning of alcohol's morality.

Jesus himself condoned the consumption of alcohol amongst friends. What was His first miracle, the coming out party of His reign on earth? It was the biblical equivalent of a late night booze run. And not only did Jesus turn water into wine in order to keep the wedding party going, but He made the good stuff. His friends and family raved about how great it was for Jesus to save the best, albeit miraculous, booze for last. Jesus and his friends partied on, and all was well.

The truth is, alcohol consumption is a personal choice. While I cannot justifiably condemn Cerrone's personal opinion, I can condemn his implication that his opinion is the moral authority on the matter.

Those who choose to partake in alcohol consumption are not wrong for doing so, and the good times they enjoy with friends are not immoral. Moreover, alcohol does not change one's opinions; it just turns off the censor. It has been said that drunken words are sober thoughts, and if someone only appears sexist or racist when they are drunk, they are just good at hiding it when they are sober.

Cerrone also said that friendships formed while under alcohol's influence are false. I have plenty of real, live friends that I met while drinking who would beg to differ. Alcohol can be a social lubricant, helping strangers get to know each other with a common activity and without some of the awkward inhibitions.

This is college. Alcohol is a part of social life. Notre Dame's party scene is modest at best, and we can do without people like Cerrone attacking our morality for trying to have a good time. There is nothing evil about choosing to involve alcohol in what little free time we have to enjoy with the good friends we are with for but a few years of our waning youth. Jesus is welcome to party with me anytime. Cerrone, you're welcome to tag along too; who knows, you might just have fun.

Danny Wemple

sophomore

Siegfried Hall

April 6