Bookstore Basketball: Talented freshmen oust juniors, 21-17

Two Pats and a MAT 21, I've Made a Huge Mistake... 17

Two Pats and a MAT took advantage of an excessive number of missed lay-ups by I've Made a Huge Mistake and advance to win their first-round, rescheduled game.

"Lay-ups killed us today," Mistake captain Dan Hussey said. "We came to win, it didn't work out so well."

Hussey seemed to make no mistakes early, putting his team up early with a couple of early buckets. Teammate James Smith ran the point for Mistake, assertively calling out plays at the top of the key. However, it seemed that any play he called inevitably ended up in a failed alley-oop or a missed lay-up down low. Smith got on his teammates about the lack of easy baskets.

"I was talking [expletive] to Jordan," Smith said. "But I missed a few too. Honestly the game is on everybody."

Both the Pats and the MAT were thrilled with their hard-fought victory.

"It was huge win," captain Alex Cota said. "They're a bunch of juniors and we're just little freshmen. We were undersized, but we came out to play today."

Despite their differences on the court, both teams agreed on one thing after their game, which ended around 8:00 p.m.

"We are extremely satisfied," Cota said. "We're gonna go eat right now."

Smith agreed.

"We played hard," Smith said. "And I'm so hungry."

665 by forfeit over Prima Ballerinas

The team known only as "665" won by forfeit over the Prima Ballerinas, who didn't make it to the court. In their first round game, 665's opponents almost didn't make an appearance either, not arriving until 15 minutes after the game was scheduled to start.

They don't know who they're playing next, but, "They might as well not even show up," 665 team member Emma Klosterman said.

"It's disappointing because we were excited to play," Lynch said. "But we're looking forward to Wednesday."

Lynch, Klosterman, along teammates Colleen Flahive, Michelle Maitz, and Nicole Bobowski will compete Wednesday against the winner of the Nickelodeon Moonshoes or Academic Freedom.